On 23 Oct 2014, at 21:36, John Clark wrote:

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014  Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> You got the idea that consciousness is not localizable,

Yes.

> but it seems that you fail to appreciate the consequences on this

I believe it's you who has not integrated the consequences of consciousness not having a location. So it is meaningless to ask "what city will you be in?", all that can be said is that the brain that receives information about Moscow will think about Moscow

Excellent, and so he will write in his diary "result of the experience: Moscow", after having quickly scratch his old prediction "Washington and Moscow".

Suddenly he understands the question, and the step 4 makes sense for him, now. Nice.

and the brain that receives information about Washington will think about Washington,

Excellent, and so he will write in his diary "result of the experience: Washington", after having quickly scratch his old prediction "Washington and Moscow".

Suddenly he understands the question, and the step 4 makes sense for him, now.

Now that everyone understand, we can proceed. So hat about step 4?

and the question "which one is you" can not be answered because in these circumstances the word "you" has no unique referent .

What? When I go in Washington to interview John-Clark-from-Washington, I use "you" without no trouble. The same in Moscow. you did survive, but are duplicated. There is no problem for your first person view. That view remains all the time unique from that point of view. Yet, from that first person view, a choice has been made between Washington and Moscow. As comp predicts, you, each of you, get one bit of information, despite no external observer got anyone. The randomness here is guaranty pure private or subjective, or first person.

Likewise, in the iterated self-duplication, it is a simple exercise to show that the best bet about the possible experience is that you will live is "white noise". It is equivalent with looking a polarized photon split beam, you don't expect it to not split!

"In front of arithmetic", it is a far more difficult problem, and comp confronts us with it, unless (by the Movie Graph Argument UDA step 8) you give magical special selection power to primary matter (that nobody has ever detect for obvious reason).

Like Quentin explained to you more than once, your reference problem, if it was a valid argument against the FPI, would be valid also about Everett QM, both the frequentist and those like Deutsch using decision theory.

Bruno

  John K Clark