On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 3:30 AM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There are much more interesting objections to Bruno's proof than the one
> you cite, which appears to be, at best, a semantic quibble.

I assume you're referring to Bruno's irresponsible use of personal
pronouns, and that is far more than a quibble, it strikes at the very core
of his ideas. The entire point of Bruno's "proof" and accompanied thought
experiments is to make words like "I" and "you" and "he" crystal clear. In
our normal everyday world such words have little ambiguity; but in a world
where matter duplication machines exist ( and the only reason we don't have
such machines already is engineering difficulties  not scientific
difficulties) such words have a LOT of ambiguity. Nevertheless from the
very beginning Bruno  assumes that even after the duplication everything
has already been cleared up and so he says stuff like "you will see this"
and "he will predict that". It is not allowed to assume what you're trying
to prove.

  John K Clark