On 27 Oct 2014, at 20:58, meekerdb wrote:

On 10/27/2014 3:38 AM, LizR wrote:
It would be nice if Mr Clark would EITHER stop joining in with discussions just to say that he doesn't care about comp, OR state what he agrees or disagrees with in Bruno's stated argument.

Just saying it's "obviously wrong" doesn't really cut it. So far the only real (non-sarcastic, non-insult-based) objection I've heard comes down to a semantic quibble to do with redefining our concept of an individual person. This is exactly the same redefinition that was brought up by Everett in 1957. It isn't in itself contentious - a physicist who believes the MWI to be correct will come to the same conclusions about indeterminacy that someone using Bruno's matter transmitter would - that it's a phenomenon experienced from a first person perspective because of the person in question being split into two copies. The phenomena actually map onto each other, because both comp and Everett allow for the possibility that from the third person viewpoint the duplication could be observed - quantum computers rely on precisely that fact.

Quantum computers (of the circuit type) rely on interference to pick out the right solution. Interference implies superposition in the same world.

Only if you isolate the subsystem well enough. Imagine that I can isolate my room, where I am, sufficiently, and in that room I succeed in isolating schroedinger cat (prepared in the alive + dead state) in a box. Then, in my isolated room I look at the cat (measuring in the alive/dead base) .QM description is that when I do that measurement, I put myself in the superposition alive + dead. It follows from the linearity of evolution and of the tensor product. You might say that I am in that superposed state in *one* world. But if my room is not sufficiently well isolated, or more normally when I go out of that room, announcing with some joy that the cat is alive, well soon enough, the environment (the building with that room, then city, and you coming for a visit) get in the superposition "history of the earth with that Shroedinger car alive + history of the earth with that Shroedinger car dead. Would you still say that it is a superposition in *one* world. Yes, the differentiation of the galaxies will follows, at the speed of light, and I guess there will be two Milky ways colliding with Andromeda, one with archive describing the fact that that Schroedinger cat was alive, and one with the fact that that Schroedinger cat is dead. Would you still say that there is one world? I like to define a physical world (in the quantum theory) by a set of objects/events close for interaction. That makes the many world the literal interpretation of QM. Without collapse, I don't see how the term of the superposition can ever disappear.

I highly recommend Scott Aaronson's blog http://www.scottaaronson.com/blog/ , for straight talk about quantum computing (his book "Quantum Computing Since Democritus" is also very good).

What is his position on Everett?

Hence, the fact that comp says that such splitting can occur doesn't disprove comp unless it also disproves Everett.

And of course, making up silly versions of Bruno's acronyms also doesn't show that comp is wrong. It certainly didn't work for Fred Hoyle's attempts to ridicule the Big Bang.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. To post to this group, send email to everything- l...@googlegroups.com.