On 10/29/2014 6:54 PM, John Clark wrote:
On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 5:17 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    >> The universe splits because there is a difference between them,  the
photon (or
    electron) goes through the left slit in one universe and the right slit in
another
    universe. If after that the photons

     > There's only one photon.

Not if Everett is correct, if he is then when a photon encounters something, like a wall with 2 slits in it, everything that can happen does happen. And for that to occur you need more than one photon and more than one universe.

    > If the path lengths were different in different worlds there would be no
interference

If anything is still different when the photon hits the photographic plate there will be no interference. You only see interference if there is a change, a difference, so one universe splits into two and then another change that makes them identical again. Unless the first change is very very small it's almost impossible there will ever be a second change large enough for the 2 universes to become identical again.

        >>  but if we examine history we will see evidence that the photon went
through
        the left slit only and evidence that it went through the right slit
only and
this causes interference bands.

        > ?? What kind of evidence do you refer to.

A interference pattern.

That's hardly evidence the photon went thru one slit only.

    > Delayed quantum eraser experiments show that if there is such evidence,
if it's
    not erased, the interference disappears

That is correct. If the information about which slits the photons went through exists then the 2 universe are still different when the photons hit the plate because the information must be recorded in something physical and whatever the physical medium is the arrangement of something physical will be different, so the 2 universes are not identical and thus do not recombine and no interference pattern forms on the photographic and there is no indication that any photon went through more than one slit.

However if the information about which slits the photons went through is erased after they pass the slits but before they hit the photographic plate

No, it's called the /*delayed*/ quantum eraser experiment because the which-way information can be erased /*after*/ they hit the detector

arXiv:quant-ph/9903047 v1 13 Mar 1999

Brent

then there is no longer any difference between the 2 universes, even though there once was, so they recombine and and interfere. There isn't a lot of interference because they were never more than slightly different but there is some and we see it as interference bands on that photographic plate and indications that the photons went through both slits.

  John K Clark

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>.