On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 8:26 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> If "recombine" just means exhibiting interference then I'd say it's just
> a semantic quibble.  When a photon goes thru both of Young's slits and
> interferes with itself I'd say that happens in one world.

The universe splits because there is a difference between them,  the photon
(or electron) goes through the left slit in one universe and the right slit
in another universe.  If after that the photons hit a photographic plate
(or just a brick wall) both photons are destroyed and there is no longer
any difference between the 2 universes so they recombine, but if we examine
history we will see evidence that the photon went through the left slit
only and evidence that it went through the right slit only and this causes
interference bands. If we hadn't put a photographic plate (or a brick wall)
in the photon's path and just let them continue into infinite space the 2
universes would always be different and so never recombine. For statistical
reasons we only see interference if the 2 universes are almost identical;
although it's logically possible that the universe where Lincoln was not
assassinated and our universe could both evolve into a state that was
identical and so recombine and cause interference it's astronomically
unlikely. Actually astronomically is far too weak a word but infinitely is
too strong, this my be the very rare occurrence where a new word might be
useful.

  John K Clark