Hi everyone

This post is relevant to a few threads in this list

“Reversing time = local reversal of thermodynamic arrows?” and “Two apparently different forms of entropy”.

I am sorry that I haven’t posted to this list for a while. I have been very busy with my work.

In my latest research I have found that Quantum Mechanics, in particular the Pauli Exclusion Principle, can be used to go around limitations of classical physics and break the Second Law.

Papers describing the research are publicly available at

http://www.mdpi.com/1099-4300/15/11/4700

and

https://sites.google.com/a/entropicpower.com/entropicpower-com/Thermoelectric_Adiabatic_Effects_Due_to_Non-Maxwellian_Carrier_Distribution.pdf?attredirects=0&d=1(Currently under review)

These papers describe experimentally observed thermoelectric adiabatic effects (the existence of a voltage without any heat flow, and the existence of a temperature differential without any input current.)

Here is some background: The story begins with a thermodynamicist of the nineteenth century, Josef Loschmidt, who challenged Boltzmann and Maxwell regarding the Second Law. Loschmidt argued that the temperature lapse in the atmosphere could be used to run a heat engine, thereby violating the Second Law. Loschmidt was wrong as shall be explained below but it is instructive to go through his reasoning. Loschmidt argued that the atmospheric temperature lapse occurs spontaneously, is self renewing and is due to the decrease in kinetic energy of molecules as they go up against the gravitational gradient between collisions. Therefore the atmospheric temperature decreases adiabatically with altitude and could be used to run a heat engine.

However, Loschmidt ignored the fact that molecular energies are distributed over a range of values and that gravity separates the molecules according to their energy in a fashion analogous to a mass spectrometer separating particles according to mass. Molecules with greater energy can reach greater heights. If one assigns a Maxwellian distribution to the molecules (exponentially decaying function of energy), then any vertical translation of a group of molecules results in a lowering of their kinetic energy, corresponding to a left shift of their distribution. After the distribution is renormalized to account for the lower density at higher elevation, the original distribution is recovered indicating that the gas is isothermal, not adiabatic as Loschmidt conjectured. This effect is due to the exponential nature of the distribution. An addition (of potential energy) in the exponent corresponds to a multiplication of the amplitude.So Loschmidt was wrong: the Loschmidt effect (lowering of KE with altitude) is exactly canceled by the energy separation effect caused by gravity. However he was only wrong with respect to gases that follow Maxwell’s distribution.

Electrical carriers in semiconductor materials are Fermions following Fermi-Dirac statistics and the above argument does not apply to them. When subjected to a voltage they do develop a temperature gradient. This temperature differential is hard to observe because it is promptly shorted by heat phonons. As experiments at Caltech have shown (see my papers), it can be observed in certain circumstances such as in high Z thermoelectric materials in which electrical carriers and heat phonons are strongly decoupled. The Onsager reciprocal of the temperature differential is a voltage differential which has also been experimentally observed.

The two papers above describe these results in detail.

In summary, quantum mechanics, in particular the Pauli Exclusion Principle, can be used to bypass classical mechanics in generating macroscopic effects violating the Second Law.

Other relevant papers:

1)Hanggi and Wehner arXiv:1205.6894 <http://arxiv.org/abs/1205.6894>show that any violation to the Uncertainty Principle would result in a violation of the Second Law. This does not contradict my research which shows use of QM to violate the Second Law. The paper also suggests for future research the reverse proposition that any violation of the Second Law would result in a violation of the Uncertainty Principle. This, if true, would contradict my research.

2)Lloyd, Seth, http://people.physics.anu.edu.au/~tas110/Teaching/Lectures/L5/Material/Lloyd06.pdf <http://people.physics.anu.edu.au/%7Etas110/Teaching/Lectures/L5/Material/Lloyd06.pdf>. This paper discusses derivation of 2^nd Law from QM.

I welcome any comment or criticism that you may have.

George Levy