On 11/20/2014 9:07 PM, George wrote:
Brent you are right.
Maxwell distribution is not exponential with energy. For the purpose of comparing the different distributions, I was attempting to give the same form to all distributions Maxwell, Fermi-Dirac and Bose-Einstein independently of the scaling factor in front of the exponential. i.e.,

The trouble is that it's not just a scaling factor in front, it's a normalization and the normalization has to produce the right dimensions. The functions you right below are all dimensionless, so they can only be density functions relative to a dimensionless variable, e.g. x=(E/kT)

Maxwell: 1/e^x
Fermi-Dirac 1/(e^x  + 1)
Bose-Einstein: 1/(e^x  - 1)
I may not have been correct in doing this.

I agree, Maxwell distribution is not exponential with _energy_.

If we assume that the distribution is also not exponential with _elevation_ then the renormalized distribution after vertical translation does not overlap the original distribution. Therefore there is a spontaneous atmospheric temperature lapse and Loschmidt was right after all!

There is a "spontaneous" atmospheric lapse rate which in the standard atmosphere model is linear, -6.5degK/km, from sea level to 10km. And you could run a heat engine using the temperature difference - just as people have proposed running a heat engine between warm surface water and cold deep ocean water. But why would that violate the 2nd law? The atmosphere is heated by the surface where sunlight is absorbed and it's lost by radiation to space in the upper atmosphere - so there's a gradient and free energy which can be turned into work.

Breaking the Second Law does not require QM. All that is required is a Maxwellian gas in a force field.

The question therefore is whether Maxwell distribution is exponential with
_elevation_.

What does it mean for the M-B distribution to be exponential with elevation? As a density function over energy it has one parameter, kT. Are you asking whether T=T_0*exp(-h/h_0) where T_0 is the surface temperature, h is the altitude, and h_0 is some altitude scale. If so, the answer is no. The function is T=T_0 - 6.5h for T in degK and h in km. But that only works up to 10km. Changes in molecular species (different masses) become important at higher altitude.

If it is then Loschmidt falls on Maxwellian gases. If it is not, then Loschmidt is completely vindicated for any kind of gas. I need to think about this. Any idea?

Loschmidt considered just a gas or other substance in an isolated column (no solar heating, no radiative cooling), so the atmosphere isn't a good example.

Brent

George