On 26 November 2014 at 22:05, <zibb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, November 25, 2014 6:50:00 PM UTC, Liz R wrote:
>>
>> And I said that it seemed to me that if dark matter was being destroyed
>> galaxies should be expanding, and asked if there was any observational
>> evidence to support this.
>>

> Liz, you said it right at the start...but the point is only valid one
> time. What you reason above restates the same point in a different form.

I repeated it because the other poster ignored what I'd said the first time
AND made snarky comments showing he'd missed the point I was making, hence
I felt it was worthwhile repeating it.

Anyway, the point still holds. Dark matter is responsible for much of the
structure of the universe, and if it's being turned into energy and
radiated away then its gravitational attraction goes with it. Hence
galaxies, held together by dark matter (as I Zwicky discovered in 1933 by
studying their rotation curves) should be expanding IF dark matter is being
annihilated, because the visible structure is rotating at the same speed
around a centre containing a decreasing amount of mass.

So, if I've understood this theory correctly, galaxies should be getting
bigger. Can someone either explain how I've missed the point of the
theory OR tell me if there is evidence of galaxies growing larger due to
this effect? If not then I can happily forget this theory because it
predicts some startling observational evidence that doesn't exist.