> On 26 Dec 2014, at 1:43 pm, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> On 12/25/2014 1:17 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:
>> In paper
>>
>> Forsdyke, D.R. (2009). Samuel Butler and human long term memory: is the
>> cupboard bare? Journal of Theoretical Biology 258(1), 156-164. (see
>> http://post.queensu.ca/~forsdyke/mind01.htm)
>>
>> the author considers a possibility that the long term memory is outside the
>> brain. I guess that Bruno should like it.
>
> That seems backwards for Bruno's idea.  If memories are outside the brain
> then they should survive destruction of the brain.  But as I understand
> Bruno's idea one's "soul" survives destruction of the brain as in
> reincarnation, but memories don't.
>
> Brent

Don't forget this is about long-term memory. How long is long-term? I would say
beyond the life of the individual. Seen like that, there has to be some kind of
library or lookup table which in no way correlates to anything to do with human
brain size, the authors conclude. Certain of these very-long-term memories do
get encoded somehow to survive destruction of the brain, as in Jung's 'racial
memory' or "collective unconscious' - the original engrams or patterns of
recognition (archetypes) some of them terrifyingly inexplicable and probably
arising in dreams and recorded as revelations. Folklore is the racial memory of
homo sapiens. We still churn it out. What we cannot remember exactly we plaster
over with something else anyway, because HS are natural-born story tellers who
cannot pass up a good story. If the shoe fits, we tend to wear it. It's
literally in our DNA these authors conclude. This suggests to me that the
notion of "Junk DNA" is perhaps itself junk as the very purpose of DNA is to
record ie encode experience at something for the purpose of passing it on. DNA
cannot fail at that purpose. Whenever scientists declare something "Junk" or
"Dark" this just means "we are clueless over this" so it's time to find the
macro-molecular link that allows this almost-Lamarckian effect of racial memory
to come about.

Kim