From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Kim Jones
Sent: Thursday, December 25, 2014 7:46 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Long term memory is extra-corporeal

On 26 Dec 2014, at 1:43 pm, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

On 12/25/2014 1:17 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:

In paper

Forsdyke, D.R. (2009). Samuel Butler and human long term memory: is the
cupboard bare? Journal of Theoretical Biology 258(1), 156-164. (see
http://post.queensu.ca/~forsdyke/mind01.htm
<http://post.queensu.ca/%7Eforsdyke/mind01.htm> )

the author considers a possibility that the long term memory is outside the
brain. I guess that Bruno should like it.

That seems backwards for Bruno's idea.  If memories are outside the brain then
they should survive destruction of the brain.  But as I understand Bruno's idea
one's "soul" survives destruction of the brain as in reincarnation, but
memories don't.

Brent

Don't forget this is about long-term memory. How long is long-term? I would say
beyond the life of the individual. Seen like that, there has to be some kind of
library or lookup table which in no way correlates to anything to do with human
brain size, the authors conclude. Certain of these very-long-term memories do
get encoded somehow to survive destruction of the brain, as in Jung's 'racial
memory' or "collective unconscious' - the original engrams or patterns of
recognition (archetypes) some of them terrifyingly inexplicable and probably
arising in dreams and recorded as revelations. Folklore is the racial memory of
homo sapiens. We still churn it out. What we cannot remember exactly we plaster
over with something else anyway, because HS are natural-born story tellers who
cannot pass up a good story. If the shoe fits, we tend to wear it. It's
literally in our DNA these authors conclude. This suggests to me that the
notion of "Junk DNA" is perhaps itself junk as the very purpose of DNA is to
record ie encode experience at something for the purpose of passing it on. DNA
cannot fail at that purpose. Whenever scientists declare something "Junk" or
"Dark" this just means "we are clueless over this" so it's time to find the
macro-molecular link that allows this almost-Lamarckian effect of racial memory
to come about.

The term “junk DNA”, itself has been junked a while ago, when it was discovered
that a portion of this DNA acts like a kind of OS that switches encoding
sections on and off. It is a mistake I believe to look at DNA as a static
repository of hereditary information alone. It is this of course, but it turns
out to be more complex, dynamic and layered than the simple static model. A lot
of the so called “junk DNA” (but not all of it by any means) seems to be
involved in this dynamic process. Especially, during the process of
embryogenesis, DNA expression is undergoing dynamic highly sequenced and
seemingly (somehow) choreographed changes (through methylation and other means).

Other parts of this junk DNA, seem to be parasitical in nature; e.g. the
selfish DNA hypothesis, and this also seems very likely – IMO. If such DNA
“parasite entities” exist, perhaps using viruses as vehicles during their
“life-cycle” in order to ride with them on into a hosts DNA and insert
themselves into a new happy home, passing copies down for as long as the
lineage continues. Perhaps a parasite is “junk” for the host, but from the
parasites perspective I am sure the view is different… so even here in this
case is it really junk.

-Chris

Kim