Am 26.12.2014 um 19:55 schrieb meekerdb:

But to say that DNA provides "long term memory" seems like an abuse
of terminology, making a metaphor into a factual description.  DNA
provides "memory" only in that sometimes parts of it get to
reproduce.  Genes are more persistent units, but their "memory" is
just get copied to not. There's nothing Lamarckian about it, much
less extra-corporeal survival of memories.  Memories are necessarily
things that are remembered.  I don't remember any previous life and I
doubt that you do either.

From the paper:

"In the twenty-first century the Hebbian network hypothesis came under attack and attention returned to storage of specific items of mental information as DNA (Dietrich and Been, 2001; Arshavsky, 2006a)."

Dietrich, A., Been, W., 2001. Memory and DNA. J. Theor. Biol. 208, 145-149.

Arshavsky, Y. I., 2006a. ‘The seven sins’ of the Hebbian synapse: can the hypothesis of synaptic plasticity explain long-term memory? Prog. Neurobiol. 80, 99-113.

Evgenii