On Mon, Jan 5, 2015  Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au> wrote:

> My personal opinion is that measured values are constrained to be
> rational

If that is true (and it may be) and if mathematics is a language and the
irrational numbers play no role in physics then perhaps they are a fantasy,
the equivalent of a Harry Potter novel. Or perhaps not, there are lots of
ways to write a sequel to a Harry Potter novel but only one way a new story
about the irrationals could go. A story about the irrational numbers is
unique, a story about Harry Potter is not, would that be enough to say the
irrationals are not a fantasy? I don't know.

> there can only ever be a countable number of distinct observer moments.

I wonder if countable is good enough, I wonder if it must also be finite.

> Yet this down not imply space is "quantised" or discrete in any way. It
> is quite possible there is no lower bound to the difference between two
> measurements. So it doesn't surprise me that space ends up being smooth at
> scales far smaller than the planck length. I would be more suprised at the
> opposite conclusion, as it implies a lack of symmetry (grids are not
> rotationally symmetric, except at specific angles).

I don't think that by itself would necessarily be a deal breaker, electric,
magnetic and gravitational fields need not be rotationally symmetric. And
lots of interesting stuff happens when symmetry is broken, water is
rotationally symmetric but ice is not, and most (but not all) lifeforms on
this planet have no rotational symmetry.

  John K Clark