On 06 Jan 2015, at 18:36, John Clark wrote:

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 5:19 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> That would made "existence" into a property, which is something usually avoided

If it's not a property then existence and non-existence have no consequences,

No, all logicians have agreed that "existence" is a logical symbol.

In our finitist context ExP(x) can be seen as an abbreviation of

P(0) v P(1) v P(2) v P(3), v ...

That is existence is an infinite disjunction (like AxP(x) is equivalent with an infinite conjunction).

Of course existence and non existence have still consequences. Ex (prime-number(x)), for example, and
~Ex(prime(x) & even(x) and x > 2), ...

Philosophers knows that to make existence into a property re-introduce essentialism and category confusion. It is a rare point where all analytical (and even non analytical) philosophers agree, and logicians agree.

Bruno

so why all the passion over the God exists/doesn't-exist debate, or the why does the universe exist debate? It doesn't matter if God, or anything else for that matter, exists or not.

> Of course, not everything exists. Some thing does not exist, like a couple of non null integers x y verifying
2 *( y^2) = x^2.

The integers that solve that equation have the same property that the largest prime number does, the property of non-existence.

  John K Clark