On 19 January 2015 at 20:42, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

 On 1/19/2015 9:31 AM, David Nyman wrote:

>  On 19 January 2015 at 14:01, David Nyman <da...@davidnyman.com> wrote:
>
> But if zombies were *logically* impossible, as I believe Dennett for
>> example claims, then it would be analytically true, not a contingent fact.
>

>  I'd like to amplify here a little in light of my longer response to you
> about comp and the Hard Problem. Dennett's public and oft-repeated position
> is that physics has primacy over (for example) computation or logic. In
> other words, he believes that before something can be deemed computational
> or logical, it must first be physical. My point is that, given this prior
> commitment, he actually has no basis for any claim that zombies are
> *logically* impossible unless they are first *physically* impossible.
>

> ?? Everything that exists must be physically possible is compatible with
> everything that exists must also be logically possible and most people
> think that nomologically possible is a subset of logically possible.  So
> logically impossible implies physically impossible.  I think you're
> confused about Dennett.

I don't think you've taken my point. According to Dennett, at least as I've
always read him, everything that 'exists' must do so physically. This
position (which is an intrinsic part of what he calls his 'third-person
absolutism') has led him to his attempted wholesale substitution of
'judgements' about consciousness (which can be cashed out physically) for
the supposed 'illusion' of consciousness. On this basis, nothing that is
physically impossible could exist (obviously). Hence, to show that zombies
could not possibly exist Dennett would have to convince us a priori that
they couldn't possibly exist *physically* - i.e. that they violate some
essential principle of physical explanation. My point is that this can't be
done. There's nothing about physical explanation that requires a conscious
point of view and consequently it doesn't harm a zombie's purely 'physical'
status to deny that it has one.

>  However, the fact is (as notoriously argued by Chalmers, for example)
> that we have precisely zero evidence that zombies are physically
> impossible. In point of fact they would appear to be physically
> *inevitable*, given that the system of physical relation appears (very
> convincingly) to be both causally sufficient and causally closed.
>

> Being causally closed would be an argument against libertarian free-will,
> but I don't see why it's an argument against consciousness.

It's an argument against consciousness, as construed as something other
than its physical correlates, because nothing attributable to physical
explanation would ever lead us to believe a priori in the necessity of a
conscious point of view to what we are describing. That is the relevance of
the causal closure of the physical in this context. Zombies would appear a
priori to be the more obvious progeny of such a system. Consequently we
accept the fact of consciousness (if indeed we do) as a brute a posteriori
datum.

David