On 19 January 2015 at 18:37, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

On 1/19/2015 6:01 AM, David Nyman wrote:

> [...]
>> physical environments. So these computations may simultaneously entail the
>> putatively 1-personal points of view of such entities. These two logics may
>> even be related in an analytic or logically necessary way. All this may be
>> remarkably suggestive but are we forced to accept that actual conscious
>> experience arises as a necessary consequence of all this merely
>> arithmetical *construction*?
>>
>> This is where the subtlety comes into play. Remember that consciousness
>> is here modelled as *truth*. When you really come to think about it, truth
>> is *the* defining characteristic of consciousness. As Descartes realised
>> (though his insight is often misconstrued) it can make no sense to doubt
>> the truth of doubt itself. When we apply this to the mutual reference
>> problem something truly remarkable occurs. Take the question of Smolin's
>> claiming to 'see red'. This claim is now seen as occurring at the
>> intersection of two logics: one 'observable', the other 'private'. However,
>> although this entanglement may explain their co-variance and mutual
>> reference, neither of these logics fully captures the *truth* of the claim,
>> or if you prefer, what it would actually be *like* if the expressed belief
>> were true. Each of them is still, as it were, a mere epistemological
>> possibility, abstractly lurking somewhere in the infinitely extended
>> ontology of arithmetic.
>>
>> But if these logics can't definitively *capture* the truth of the claims
>> they emulate, they do point to where it might be found. It comes down to
>> this: Is Smolin, the putative experiencer of the truth of the claim to 'see
>> red', being *truthful*? Given the hypothesised mutual consistency of the
>> entangled logics, this is analytically certain. Smolin is incapable of
>> being other than truthful in this regard; ergo he does in fact 'see red'.
>> We can, of course, deny that there is any such analytic compulsion to
>> truth. But this is self-defeating, in exactly Descartes' sense. If there is
>> no truth of the matter, then there is equally no red, no Smolin, no belief,
>> no logic. The 'epistemological' assumptions have been ineffective and must
>> be discarded. The only remainder is arithmetic itself, since that is the
>> ontology we assumed at the outset.
>>

> An interesting explication.  If Smolin can't be mistaken when he says or
> thinks "I see red" - and I agree that he can't - then it must correspond to
> (or be entangled with) a specific third person computation (i.e. physics of
> his brain).  But we can ask why is this entanglement, this 3p
> point-of-view, even needed?  Isn't just Smolin, i.e. his thoughts, already
> realized in the infinity of computation, and even realized infinitely many
> times? If we ask for a simulation of a lot of people then it may be more
> efficient to simulate a physics that gives them consistent 3p
> points-of-view. But I'm not sure efficiency has any relevance in

I'm not sure I'm well equipped to answer your question, assuming I've
understood it. My understanding of Bruno's schema is that it leads to a
kind of Computational Library of Babel. You could say that it's the way a
'creator' might set about producing a lawful universe despite knowing
nothing beyond simple arithmetic. My kind of god, in fact ;-) However the
dissimilarities with Borges's alphabetic library are perhaps more striking
than the parallels. For one thing, the hypothesis of the dovetailer (i.e. a
very simple computation that happens to generate all other computations,
including itself) must result in a fractal-like explosion of redundancy
that threatens to defeat the imagination.

Consequently the question of differential measure, of classes of similar
computations, becomes absolutely central in determining which outcomes
predominate and the consequences of this are far from obvious, to say the
least. So as you imply, what would emerge from this is less a matter of
efficiency and more one of what would tend to get the upper hand in the
ensuing measure battle. Producing a detailed a priori argument for this is
unfortunately well beyond my capabilities.

In other words, it is ultimately only the level of truth that validates, or
>> redeems, the epistemological assumptions; otherwise they remain mere
>> 'free-floating' abstractions,
>>

> The epistemological assumptions are about the 3p POV.

Well, my whole point is that, at the 3p level, I consider the
epistemological assumptions to be *provisional*. That is, whatever results
from mechanism doesn't count as knowledge, in the sense in question, until
it is justified or redeemed at a level that transcends the bare mechanism
itself. This is what I mean by the level of truth. I expand on this a
little below.

But the necessary truth you refer to is about the arithmetical relations
> instantiating the 1p POV.  So when Smolin thinks "I see red." it is
> necessarily true that this is associated with a certain computation that
> instantiates "redness".  But it isn't necessarily true that the is a read
> object in Smolin's view - which is what he actually means when he thinks "I
> see red".

Whether there is a red *object* is not material to my point. The truth in
question depends only on whether his statements refer to something real or
true in a primary sense. All other senses, in the context under discussion,
such as secondary interpretation or decomposition into 'objects' of
perception, are derivative on this primary datum.

>  conceptually disconnected from a base ontology that has no knowledge or
>> need of them. If we can accept consciousness as the model (in the
>> mathematicians sense) of such a truth level,
>>

> What does "truth level" mean?  I don't see what the levels of truth are;
> there are true sentences and false sentences and decidable and undecidable
> sentences.  Are you referring to true sentences in a metalanguage?  And in
> what sense can a consciousness model a "truth level"; sounds like a
> category mismatch?

I know that Bruno specifically refers to arithmetical truths in the senses
you describe above. But in my view we need to think about this somewhat
more broadly or generally to get a handle on 'consciousness' in the way I
am suggesting. That is, the truth in question is just what would *have to
be the case* to validate, not only the truth-claims of the relevant
statements, but to validate their very status *as* truth-claims (as opposed
to mere machinery). In other words, truth is modelled here as the criterion
that differentiates epistemology from ontology. As such, it 'retroactively'
validates the ascription of 'epistemological' to those features of the
ontology that can then (correctly) be seen as giving rise to it. This may
be circular, but perhaps virtuously, in a sense you've sometimes encouraged
us to entertain.

I would be interested in Bruno's comments (and indeed your own) as to the
viability of extending the notion of arithmetical truth in this way. At
this point, I'm somewhat persuaded that this broader sense of truth, in
approximately Descartes' sense, is in fact highly relevant to what is
special and, so to speak, non-negotiable about consciousness. It has the
virtue that it now makes no sense to say, as Stathis wants to suggest, that
the same scenario could equally well be describing an 'unconscious' (i.e.
untruthful) process.

we can justify our attempt to abstract, epistemologically, a multiverse of
>> dreaming machines complete with their hallucinated physical environments.
>> If we insist on denying this, however, the entire epistemological
>> enterprise just collapses back into the heap of its base ontological
>> components.
>>

> The usual way to justify a theory is to have it predict some otherwise
> unexpected observable fact.

True enough, but my sense of 'justification' here was more restrictive and
specific. I simply meant that our ascription of an 'epistemology', in the
relevant sense, to mechanism should be conditional on the truth-claims
provisionally attributed to such mechanisms being 'justifiable' or
'redeemable' at some level that transcends mechanism itself. Ordinarily,
this implies some level of extrinsic interpretation, as for example when
you are reading this text. But in the case of a purportedly
self-interpreting mechanism, there can be no such extrinsic locus.
Consequently, we must seek to anchor 'interpretation' in a manner that is
intimately associated with mechanism itself but somehow transcends it. In
fact, my contention is that denying the effectiveness of such a level (i.e.
truth as it pertains to mechanistic 'knowledge'), is tantamount to
dismantling the whole attempt to ascribe an epistemology to mechanism in
the first place.

David