On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 10:13 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 1/19/2015 10:40 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
>

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 6:36 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
>

>>  On 18 Jan 2015, at 20:42, meekerdb wrote:
>>
>>  On 1/18/2015 6:26 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>
>> With the definition you gave in a preceding post, and with which I agree,
>> everyone believe in some God. The question is always: which one? And where
>> it does come from, and why.
>>

>> All philosophers and most scientists have some idea about what is
>> fundamental reality - but (unless they are theologians) they recognize it
>> is just a working hypothesis.  I'd say most people don't even think about
>> it enough to have a definite opinion.
>>

>>  Well, it might be about time. Many people don't think to this, because
>> we abandonned the subject to professional brainwashers since a long time.
>> Most people are just not interested in fundamental science. Usually
>> people like to take things for granted, and dislike doubting everything, as
>> Descartes knew already we have to do if we search truth.
>>

>  The more I think about it, the more I doubt that these subjects were
> simply "abandoned" in an innocent fashion. The problem is that beliefs
> about fundamental reality are at the foundations of political power, and
> the powerful know this, even if only intuitively.
>

> Of course, religion was invented as a socializing tool.  God watched
> everybody before Big Brother had the techology.  God answered all questions
> and defined right and wrong.

It is a reasonable hypothesis, but nobody knows this for sure. I don't
think it's the whole story. Another aspect might be the need for meaning,
especially in tragic situations. I find this quite interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_cognition#Death_ritual

>  When atheist politicians say that we must respect the Vatican, they are
> agreeing on some border of power.
>

> ?? What "atheist politicians".  In the U.S. an admitted atheist couldn't
> get elected dog-catcher.  Atheists are the only group less trusted than
> Muslims.

Right. They exist in Europe. But pick whichever religious sensibilities you
like, my point was that public belief = power. I think you might agree.

>   They are saying, ok we can't have absolute power but we can negotiate
> peace with the Vatican.
>
>  The subtlety is that there is now a very powerful religion which has no
> name but is profoundly materialistic. I think you intuit its existence, and
> were perhaps a victim of it, by the suppression of your thesis.
>

> It's the Illuminati?  Richard Dawkins and Dan Dennett are out to get you?

Come on, that's silly. It's the alien reptilians of course.

Telmo.