On 19 Jan 2015, at 19:40, Telmo Menezes wrote:

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 6:36 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 18 Jan 2015, at 20:42, meekerdb wrote:

On 1/18/2015 6:26 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
With the definition you gave in a preceding post, and with which I agree, everyone believe in some God. The question is always: which one? And where it does come from, and why.

All philosophers and most scientists have some idea about what is fundamental reality - but (unless they are theologians) they recognize it is just a working hypothesis. I'd say most people don't even think about it enough to have a definite opinion.

Well, it might be about time. Many people don't think to this, because we abandonned the subject to professional brainwashers since a long time. Most people are just not interested in fundamental science. Usually people like to take things for granted, and dislike doubting everything, as Descartes knew already we have to do if we search truth.

The more I think about it, the more I doubt that these subjects were simply "abandoned" in an innocent fashion. The problem is that beliefs about fundamental reality are at the foundations of political power, and the powerful know this, even if only intuitively.

Yes, since always. That is why we are mucky to be in a place where scientists have regained some freedom in some domain, but clearly not in all (theology and human science are still not done with the scientific attitude).

When atheist politicians say that we must respect the Vatican, they are agreeing on some border of power. They are saying, ok we can't have absolute power but we can negotiate peace with the Vatican.

Vatican and bishops love atheism, because atheists are their allies in preventing seriousness in theological matter.

The subtlety is that there is now a very powerful religion which has no name but is profoundly materialistic. I think you intuit its existence, and were perhaps a victim of it, by the suppression of your thesis.

The original atheists were themselves victim of manipulations, but then they have gotten more than 30 years to apologize and admits the facts, but they have aggravated it by suppressing the thesis, and defaming it up to the point of making the prize I got in Paris disappear.

Bruno

Telmo.