On 1/24/2015 1:39 PM, Rex Allen wrote:
But the simulation could make you think or believe anything - anything at all. Do you think there is any limit to the possible craziness of simulated thoughts and beliefs?

It somewhat depends on what you mean by thought and by belief. Insofar as they are expressed in words it seems that logical contradictions are beyond belief. Of course that assumes you recognize the contradiction as you well might not. You might believe both "The President of the United States is a bachelor" and "Barack Obama is married.", because you might not believe "Barack Obama is President of the United States." I don't know how Bruno's modal logic treats this since he treats "believes" as equivalent to "proves" and explains this by saying he is assuming an honest machine. But an honest human being can be mistaken.

We can also judge human's belief by their actions so that what they say and what they do may be contradictory.