On 01 Apr 2015, at 13:51, Bruce Kellett wrote:

Bruno Marchal wrote:
On 01 Apr 2015, at 02:35, Bruce Kellett wrote:

I don't think that your arguments that consciousness cannot be understood in terms of physical supervenience are very convincing. At all the crucial points you simply appeal to the computationalist hypothesis -- your argument is, at heart, circular.
At which line of the proof? Comp (even just the Church-thesis) assumes arithmetical realism only, not plato's theology. This means that 2+2=4 is independent of me and you.

You build quite a lot into the comp hypothesis. If it is, as you said above, just the statement that the (human) brain is Turing emulable, then no assumption of arithmetical realism is involved.

You need it to define computation. Just to *define¨them.

2+2=4 can be true independent of me and you without assuming numbers have a real independent platonic existence.

Nice. You *are* an arithmetical realist. I defined arithmetical realism exactly by "2+2=4 can be true independent of me and you".

I have never said anywhere that numbers have a "real independent platonic existence" (and what would that mean). I gave the theory: it assumes only:

0 ≠ (x + 1)
((x + 1) = (y + 1))  -> x = y
x = 0 v Ey(x = y + 1)
x + 0 = x
x + (y + 1) = (x + y) + 1
x * 0 = 0
x * (y + 1) = (x * y) + x

With predicate logic. (I can give a simpler theory which does not assumes even predicate logic, but the one above is easier to understand by non mathematicians).

I do not do metaphysics, and avoid term like "real", or "true", unless it is a context where I can defined them mathematically (in logic "true" is an standard notion, non problematical when concerned with natural numbers or finitary describable things).

Arithmetic might not be fully axiomatizable (because of Goedel), but an axiomatized version is plenty rich enough to cope with everyday things.

You preach the choir. yes, I share with Macintyre and Franzen the idea that most of math and physics does not go beyond what PA can prove. But this fails for logic, category, group and ... theology, metaphysics, etc. In theoretical computer science, we can distinguish hiearchies of complexities, but also degrees on insolubilities. Some insoluble problems can be much more insoluble than some others.

It does not mean that a material galaxy does not also exist independently of me. For this I provide a proof or argument.

I haven't seen any proof of arithmetical realism.

Of course, when used in your sense. But as I insist, arithmetical realism is just accepting the theory above, and to be precise, accepting the idea that arithmetical proposition are either true or false.

And it does not proof that material galaxies don't exist, but that it cannot be related with the conscious event of seeing some galaxy through a telescope. It shows that assuming matter is useless to explain the appearance of matter, once we assume comp.

So don't assume comp.

But then I have to assume miracles, substantial Gods, fairy tales, ... and so "no" to all doctors.

The the appearance of galaxies tells us something about the universe in which we live -- a universe explained by matter and related concepts.

assuming non comp, or eliminating consciousness. Please study the argument in detail, and if you find a flaw, well it is about time to make it precise.

It looks to me that you are just not aware of the reasoning.

>> So prime numbers might exist_{math}, but they do not exist_{phys}.
>
> Sure. I have not verified, but I do think the universal machine would > say the same. Physical is a sophisticated internal view of arithmetic/ > There still might be too much much white rabbits, but prime numbers
> are not of the type "observable" there.

I think this claim needs some backing up. You have to actually derive at least some basic physical laws from your UD.
That is done, and sum up in the second part of the sane04 paper, but it assumes some "maturity" in mathematical logic. Have you read it. I have already deduce the or a quantum logic of the observable.

I have not read your paper because, as yet you have not given me any reason to believe that I would find it interesting.

You believe in comp, even explicitly in the arithmetical realist part, and you are not interested in finding a flaw in a reasoning which shows that any UTM is a toe, that physics is indifferent for the basic ontology, etc.

I think that you will find the paper tremendously interesting, if not shocking, if you believe in both comp and in a primitive or primary physical universe.

Either you will find a flaw, or you will learn something. (or you will pretend to have find a flaw but without succeeding to convince anyone or to make it clear, I mean some people can't stay cold on this).

Deducing some quantum logic is not much of an achievement. What about an actual physical law? Schroedinger's equation? Conservation of momentum? The Coulomb force law?

None of those explain the origin of the physical laws, and none of those provides light on the mind-body problem. If you are interested in physics, there is no problem. But that is not really the subject matter here, which is he problem of where are there physical laws, and how are those laws related to our experiences.

Pointing to prime numbers is not enough.
Please, read the papers and the publication. It has been 30 years of work. I have defend this without any problem as a PhD in computer science. It modest, and radical only for people having faith in primitive matter (a metaphysical hypothesis NOT sustain by any facts).

I think it is your metaphysical hypothesis that is not sustained by any facts.

because you thought that arithmetical realism involved some belief in some metaohysical realm for the numbers. But it is enough to accept the theory above. It is precisely defined by "believing that 2+2=4 independently of me and you". Only rare sunday philosophers doubt arithmetical realism. It is the base of 99,999% of all scientific theories. I made it explicit, sometimes, to explain how FEW I assume. But you need it to define the notion of computation, universal machine, etc.

I really don't know where you find a statement by me saying what you say. I hope you don't repeat what some people says. You must be serious. If you read the two first page of sane04, I think you would not have made that attribution.

Physics has accumulated quite an impressive basis of explained facts over the years.

No doubt on this. Physics remains the local verification criteria, even with comp. No problem.

If you have a theory how a physical universe can make some machine dreams more real that their dream emulated by arithmetic, I am all ears?

The physical universe, described by universal physical laws, can do that without producing white rabbit miracles.

May be. But once assuming comp, that must be deduced for all machine's observable.

The dreams emulated by arithmetic are, at the moment, no better than opium-induced fantasies.

?

No, that are theorem. That is the part that logicians told me to suppress from my thesis, as being too much simple and at the undergraduate level of mathematicians.

But I am not astonished, because I see very few scientists are aware of that. But this is obvious *almost* since Gödel 1931, for the logician, *almost* although you need the work of others to make that entirely clear (Hilbert, Bernays, Turing, Church, Löb).

If you agree with comp (which you do, when you take arithmetical realism in the sense I give), then you can prove that the set of machine dreams is contained in the set of solutions of the following set of Diophantine equations, thanks to the work of Putnam, Davis, Robinson, and Matiyasevitch, and Jones.

You can see this as one description of the bloc mindscape. That work is not obvious, as it has been hard to define the exponential function by a diophantine polynomial relation (a lot bet that this was not possible, but Matiyasevitch eventually got the solution.

(unknowns range on the non negative integers (= 0 included)
31 unknowns: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, W, Z, U, Y, Al, Ga, Et, Th, La, Ta, Ph, and two parameters: Nu and X.

BEGIN:

Nu = ((ZUY)^2 + U)^2 + Y

ELG^2 + Al = (B - XY)Q^2

Qu = B^(5^60)

La + Qu^4 = 1 + LaB^5

Th +  2Z = B^5

L = U + TTh

E = Y + MTh

N = Q^16

R = [G + EQ^3 + LQ^5 + (2(E - ZLa)(1 + XB^5 + G)^4 + LaB^5 + + LaB^5Q^4)Q^4](N^2 -N)
         + [Q^3 -BL + L + ThLaQ^3 + (B^5 - 2)Q^5] (N^2 - 1)

P = 2W(S^2)(R^2)N^2

(P^2)K^2 - K^2 + 1 = Ta^2

4(c - KSN^2)^2 + Et = K^2

K = R + 1 + HP - H

A = (WN^2 + 1)RSN^2

C = 2R + 1 Ph

D = BW + CA -2C + 4AGa -5Ga

D^2 = (A^2 - 1)C^2 + 1

F^2 = (A^2 - 1)(I^2)C^4 + 1

(D + OF)^2 = ((A + F^2(D^2 - A^2))^2 - 1)(2R + 1 + JC)^2 + 1

if the solution of that equation exists or not independently of you and me, then all machine's dream exists independently of you, me, and even of the existence or non existence of a physical universe, and that is why you have to answer how matter can help a machine to distinguish being in a physical universe, or in such a dream. The answer is that they can do a test, and I give it.

That polynomial relation is turing universal. It simulates all Turing machine. For a proof see Matiyasevitch's book:

http://www.amazon.com/Hilberts-10th-Problem-Foundations-Computing/dp/0262132958

Bruno

Bruce