On Thursday, April 9, 2015, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> [...]
>>>

>>> I guess you are too quick. We can still deny comp, without denying CT,
>>> for example by pretending that no copy will get the right behavior, or even
>>> that the copy will be dead, and cannot be made moving at all, perhaps
>>> because we believe in some magical God which would not allow it, or
>>> whatever, or that all copies will be mentally impaired, etc. It is only in
>>> the case where the copies behave the same as the original, and claim they
>>> have no change in qualia, that comp is follows from CT with the
>>> "no-partial-zombie" argument.
>>>
>>> This does not imply CT is false, as the "magical soul", or the
>>> "primitive matter", or the "infinitely low subst level (actually
>>> infinite)",  used to make someone saying "no" to the doctor, might not add
>>> any new computability power, only that it would be needed to remain alive
>>> and have the relevant behavior.
>>>
>>> I guess you agree with this remark, as we were in the context of copies
>>> having the right behavior and pretending to survive perfectly. Obviously, a
>>> believer in CT, and not in comp, needs some amount of magic, and perhaps we
>>> can derive comp from CT, if, like in the MGA, we can show that indeed we
>>> need to add something magical.  I have to think more on this, as I might be
>>> quick again.
>>>
>>> Hmm... A model could be given with having an infinite low substitution
>>> level. When using a digital brain, people would survive ... for some period
>>> of time, and then problems would add up, due to truncation error, decimals
>>> incorrect, etc. The brain would be a truly infinite machine, but without
>>> giving the person new computability power. It seems to me right now.
>>>

>> What I intended by "CT" is the narrower physical version, which says that
>> all physics is computable.
>>

>> OK. This clarifies your point. But the original CT has nothing to do with
>> physics. Also Deutsch's form of CT (everything physical can be quantum
>> Turing emulated (perhaps in polynomial time)) is not equivalent with the
>> original CT, and might be in conflict with it.
>>
>> All physics might be computable, without the entire physical universe
>> being computable (which I thing is "figital physics".
>>
>> With computationalism, a priori, the physical should not be computable,
>> but it has to be enough computable to disallow too much white rabbits,
>> something that QM seems to do remarkably well, but it is an open problem
>> with arithmetic. The reason is that the indeterminacy on the computational
>> histories might be too much big.
>>

> At least the physics in the brain must be Turing emulable, or the whole
> enterprise falls down.
>

> I don't think so. The relevant part of the brain activity, relevant for
> consciousness to be able to manifest itself,  must be Turing emulable, but
> the brain itself does not.
> Computationalism presupposes only the existence of a level of description
> such that we can truncate the (possibly not entirely computable) physical

That's true, but it can't be guaranteed that an artificial neuron will fire
at the right time (to give a concrete example) if its behaviour depends on
non-computable functions, such as true randomness or real numbers. If you
don't get this right then the artificial brain won't work properly, and the
recipient won't be able to walk, talk or think properly; maybe more like
a movie zombie hat a philosophical zombie. I suspect such functions can be
approximated and the neuron will function appropriately, but there is no
guarantee. One good thing, however, is that the problem is an empirical
one. If the C. elegant model in the OpenWorm project behaves just like a
real worm, that will be evidence in favour of comp.

Stathis Papaioannou