On 07 Apr 2015, at 15:06, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

On Tuesday, 7 April 2015, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 06 Apr 2015, at 01:22, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
I agree that if comp is true then consciousness cannot supervene on physical activity, for the reasons in the MGA thread.

OK. Thanks for making this clear.

The only way out of this conclusion is to deny comp, which means to deny CT.

I guess you are too quick. We can still deny comp, without denying CT, for example by pretending that no copy will get the right behavior, or even that the copy will be dead, and cannot be made moving at all, perhaps because we believe in some magical God which would not allow it, or whatever, or that all copies will be mentally impaired, etc. It is only in the case where the copies behave the same as the original, and claim they have no change in qualia, that comp is follows from CT with the "no-partial-zombie" argument.

This does not imply CT is false, as the "magical soul", or the "primitive matter", or the "infinitely low subst level (actually infinite)", used to make someone saying "no" to the doctor, might not add any new computability power, only that it would be needed to remain alive and have the relevant behavior.

I guess you agree with this remark, as we were in the context of copies having the right behavior and pretending to survive perfectly. Obviously, a believer in CT, and not in comp, needs some amount of magic, and perhaps we can derive comp from CT, if, like in the MGA, we can show that indeed we need to add something magical. I have to think more on this, as I might be quick again.

Hmm... A model could be given with having an infinite low substitution level. When using a digital brain, people would survive ... for some period of time, and then problems would add up, due to truncation error, decimals incorrect, etc. The brain would be a truly infinite machine, but without giving the person new computability power. It seems to me right now.

What I intended by "CT" is the narrower physical version, which says that all physics is computable.

OK. This clarifies your point. But the original CT has nothing to do with physics. Also Deutsch's form of CT (everything physical can be quantum Turing emulated (perhaps in polynomial time)) is not equivalent with the original CT, and might be in conflict with it.

All physics might be computable, without the entire physical universe being computable (which I thing is "figital physics".

With computationalism, a priori, the physical should not be computable, but it has to be enough computable to disallow too much white rabbits, something that QM seems to do remarkably well, but it is an open problem with arithmetic. The reason is that the indeterminacy on the computational histories might be too much big.

If that is true then at least the behaviour of a person should be computable, though he may be a zombie if in fact consciousness has nothing to do with physics but occurs in a separate spiritual realm.

What is incompatible is the following three beliefs:

(a) all physics is computable, and
(b) consciouness supervenes on brain processes, and
(c) consciousness is substrate-dependent and so will not be reproduced even with a sufficiently fine-grained and perfectly well behaved brain simulation.

OK.

I think that (a) and (b') are already incompatible:

(a) all physics is computable, and
(b') consciousness supervenes on *digital* brain processes.

But (a), (b) and (c) already make obligatory to derive physics from the FPI on the whole UD*. The "winning" computation(s) are plausibly the one with a linear symmetrical bottom, and which admit long (deep in Bennett sense) computational histories. This makes us very rare in the arithmetical reality, but also super-multiplied, and with natural ways to entangle many universal machines in a many video-game type of (observable, phenomelogical) reality.

I will surely come back on Church's thesis. It is a quite strong thesis which implies incompleteness in one simple (double) diagonalization. The original thesis asserts only that lambda-calculus defines all intuitively computable function. It is provably equivalent with the same thesis with lambda-calculus replaced by any know (Turing) universal system. Does this implies comp? I doubt (given the counter-example), but might be closer than I thought.

And if CT implies comp, or almost comp, then consciousness would be close to being equivalent with the ability to get troubled by the following sentence, which typically can neither be true nor false:

"Anyone currently reading the present sentence will never know that this present sentence is true"

In arithmetic this sentences does *not* belongs to G* \ G, as it is not even expressible (arithmetical truth is not expressible or definable in arithmetic). There is no problem with the self- reference, by using the Kleene's method sum up by if D('x') gives T('x('x')'), then D('D') gives T('D'D''). Approximations of truth can be made, and the corresponding sentences, when they exist, can be true, or false, according to the approximations, but then those approximations disconnects truth from consciousness.
Hmm... apology because I am thinking aloud.

Stathis Papaioannou