On 4/13/2015 7:16 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
meekerdb wrote:
On 4/13/2015 4:47 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:

That is a balanced statement of the position. The 'closest continuer' account of personal identity captures the continuation of personal identity despite the gradual replacement of the cells in one's body. The problems arise when there is a tie between two copies for the role of 'closest' continuer. If I kill one of the copies, have I actually killed a person?

It seems this would play into the Hindu idea of reincarnation. As you die you lose your memories (a lot even before you die) and as you consciousness fades to black your closest continuation is a new born baby...or a snail.

The answer here is that as well as being the closest continuer, it is necessary that the present 'you' be the closest predecessor. The closest predecessor to the snail is presumably another snail. :-)

Fair point, but it's not clear why I should be closest predecessor to rosy cheeked newborn - unless you invoke a measure based on physics and chromosomes. It has often been noted on this list that comp, that is computation, happens not only in brains and computers and not only in what is conscious, but also in physics, in metabolism, in genetics, in evolution - just at vastly different rates.