On 4/13/2015 2:56 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

On Tuesday, April 14, 2015, Quentin Anciaux <allco...@gmail.com <mailto:allco...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','stath...@gmail.com');>>:

        On Tuesday, April 14, 2015, Quentin Anciaux <allco...@gmail.com
        <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','allco...@gmail.com');>> wrote:

                On Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 'Chris de Morsella' via Everything
List
                <everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

                    *From:*everything-list@googlegroups.com
                    [mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] *On Behalf Of
*Telmo Menezes
                    *Sent:* Monday, April 13, 2015 7:49 AM
                    *To:* everything-list@googlegroups.com
                    *Subject:* Re: Michael Graziano's theory of consciousness

                    On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 2:55 PM, Bruce Kellett
                    <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

                    Bruno Marchal wrote:

                    On 13 Apr 2015, at 05:31, Bruce Kellett wrote:

                    The philosophical literature is full of extended
discussions on
                    this, and it is widely understood that ideas such as brain
                    transplants and duplicating machines play merry havoc with
our
                    intuitive notions of personal identity.

                    Yes, it simply vanish. Personal identity is an illusion,
but the FPI
                    is not, and that result is not used in the reversal, so I
prefer to
                    let is for other threads and topics.

                    That seems like a flat contradiction. Personal identity is
an
                    illusion but First Person Indeterminacy is not. You can't
have first
                    person anything if you do not have a notion of personal
identity.

                    I am actually very suspicious of any argument which begins,
or ends,
                    with "X is an illusion." Be X consciousness, personal
identity, free
                    will, space, time, or anything else. The theory is supposed
                    explain our experience of these things. Writing them off as
                    "illusions" is not an explanation.

                    Only if the theory fails to explain how the illusion
arises. For
                    example, there was a persistent illusion that the universe
revolves
                    around the earth. Astronomy eventually showed that not to
be the
                    case, also explaining why it looks that way.

                    Telmo – I agree with you. An argument for something being an
                    illusion needs to show how the illusion emerges out of the
                    underlying reality; it needs to demonstrate the mechanisms
that
                    drive the illusion and how they work to transform the
actual real
                    events/experiences/etc. into whatever is subsequently
perceived as
                    experienced or real. Simply saying that something is an
illusion is
                    not adequate; I agree with that. And I think your example
of the
                    Aristotelian earth centric universe, is a good one. The
mechanism by
                    which it produced the illusion was demonstrated in that
case.

                Here's the mechanism: my body is destroyed, and another similar
body is
                created. Because it's similar, it thinks it's me. If two were
created,
                both would think they were me.

            It would, if functionalism/computationalism is true... but it could
be for
            example, that causaly linked matter till birth (or before...) is
necessary
            (why not...) for being that particular individual... as my current
body even
            if all its matter is continuously replaced, it is not replaced in
one go, it
            is as said "continuous", all matter composing my body is causaly
linked...
            I'm not saying it is like that and that
computationalism/functionalism is
            false (well I believe in computationalism), but currently, as we're
nowhere
            near to have the ability to make copies of ourselves... it's hard
to say,
            and as we have no 3rd persons reproduceable and sharable test to be
            convinced that the copy would really be us (we only have a
metaphysical
            believe and a theory to say it should be)... even if that copy was
made of
            flesh and blood and that a super high res scan would show that it
has the
            exact same atoms with the exact same properties as the living body
it was
            copied from... we would still have no proof it would be the same
person...
            we would have a theory that if we succeed to "copy" a person and if
the
            resulting copied person was alive and well and claimed to be the
same as the
            "original" that indeed the copy and the copied would be the same
person...
            but that is not a proof... (but that is what I believe it would
have to be).
            We would have evidences that it must be (like the copy claiming he
is the
            same as the original), but that's all we would have, only the
"copy" would
            really *knows* it... like in a quantum suicide experiment, only the
            experimenter staying alive would have more and more confidence,
quantum
            suicide is true.

        Physics is irrelevant to the philosophical problem of personal
identity. It is
        only required that consciousness be logically duplicable. If my body is
        destroyed and another similar body is created, perhaps by miraculous
means

    If miracles come into play... yeah, anything is possible. But I disagree,
it's not
    *only* a logical problem. Avec des si, on mettrait Paris en bouteille.

    What you're saying is tautological and can be summarized by "If
consciousness can be
    duplicated, consciousness can be duplicated"... while it's true, I don't see
    anything interesting in that statement.

Not only is consciousness logically duplicable, it is duplicable as a matter of fact, since that is what happens in everyday life.

That's rather loose. Consciousness occurs everyday. But in what sense is is duplicated? When I think the same thought again? When you think the same thought as me? I think duplication referred to duplicating a person, which is not the same as duplicatiing thoughts since a person has a stream of different thoughts without being a different person. So, if it's not continuity of the body, what is it about that stream of thoughts that makes it the consciousness of "a person"? The usual answer is consistency and coherence of memory. But Bruno seems to think that may be sufficient but not necessary.

Brent

There is a question as to whether we could do it with a computer or with chemicals, but that does not have any bearing on the philosophical problem of personal identity.

--
Stathis Papaioannou