On 4/23/2015 2:03 PM, spudboy100 via Everything List wrote:
Conceit is a human foible, and is often an attribute of experts.

But at least as often an attribute of commentators:

"The missed distinction between supernova families doesn’t mean there’s no dark energy, the enigmatic force that’s expediting the cosmic expansion (SN: 11/30/13, p. 8). There just might be a little less of it. Milne’s team can’t say for certain how much less until they examine more supernovas."
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/color-differences-could-recalibrate-cosmic-acceleration-rate

Brent

Thinking of conceit, we now have contrary evidence that reverses the 1997 WMAP study of an accelerating universe, expansion-wise, we now have some evidence of a fast reversal (heat death) instead, and the WMAP researchers won Nobel prizes in physics. Also, dudes like Krauss and company (conceited) tended to gripe at anyone opposing this (WMAP 1997) yet we have new research. All it probably means is that we need better equipment to do measures. More measuring, and less conceit please.