David Nyman wrote:
On 27 April 2015 at 07:43, Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au <mailto:bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>> wrote:

    Mose people get on living in the world by means of heuristics, or
    useful rules-of-thumb, that are good enough for most purposes. That
    means, of course, that we make mistakes, we are misled by imprecise
    interpretations of perceptions, and of other peoples' intentions and
    motives. But as long as we get it right often enough, we can
    function perfectly adequately. As Brent might say, consciousness is
    an engineering solution to living -- not a logician's solution.

    So a Turing emulation of consciousness is perfectly possible, and
    that consciousness would be not essentially different from yours or
    mine.

I think the conclusion you draw here obfuscates the distinction between behaviour (normally) attributed to a conscious being and the putative additional fact (truth) of consciousness itself.

That is the Platonists move, and also leads to problems, as Kant found. When you use a phrase like "consciousness itself", one inevitably thinks of Kant's 'ding an sich', and the conclusion that this is essentially unknowable. Postulating a distinction between consciousness as found in conscious beings and "consciousness itself" is to postulate that conscious beings are explained by the inexplicable -- not a great advance!

Of course it is possible - implicitly or explicitly - to reject any such distinction, or what Bruno likes to call 'sweeping consciousness under the rug'. A fairly typical example of this (complete with the tell-tale terminology of 'illusion') can be found in the Graziano theory under discussion in another thread.

There is no "sweeping under the rug" here. Consciousness is that which is to be found in conscious beings. It supervenes on the physical, and came about by evolution -- a process of trial and error. That is why conscious living is by corrigible heuristics, not arithmetic or modal logics.

Alternatively one can look for an explicit nomological entailment for consciousness in, say, physical activity or computation. The problems with establishing any explicable nomological bridging principles from physical activity alone are well known and tend to lead to a more-or-less unintelligible brute identity thesis.

Can you indicate to me why relating consciousness is computations is Platonia is any less an unintelligible brute identity thesis? Arithmetical relations are static, not dynamic, so they do not instantiate the computations of a physical computer (or brain).

Bruce

Consequently physical activity is postulated as an adequate approximation of computation, at some level, and it is the latter that is assumed to provide the nomological bridge to consciousness. What is striking, then, about Bruno's UD argument is that it uses precisely this starting assumption to draw the opposite conclusion: i.e. that computation and not physical activity must be playing the primary role in this relation.

This is perhaps less of a shock to the imagination than it may at first appear. Idealists such as Berkeley and of course the Platonists that preceded him had already pointed out that deriving the appearance of matter from the 'mental' might present conceptual problems less insuperable than the reverse. What they lacked was any explicit conceptual apparatus to put flesh on the bare bones of such an intuition. What is interesting about Bruno's work, at least to me, is that it suggests (until proved in error) that the default assumption about the nomological basis of consciousness in fact leads to a kind of a quasi-idealism, albeit one founded on the neutral ontological basis of primary arithmetical relations. That then presents the empirically-testable task of validating, or ruling out, the entailment that physics itself (or more generally 'what is observable or shareable') relies on nothing more or less than such relations.

David