> On 30 Apr 2015, at 1:20 pm, Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> Kim Jones wrote:
>>> On 30 Apr 2015, at 12:34 pm, Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> If everything is to 'happen' in Platonia, you need to specify a temporal
>>> variable. This is not trivial, and I have not seen any convincing
>>> explanation of how you intend to do this.
>>>
>>> Bruce
>> The way I understand it, nothing happens in Platonia. Which is to say
>> nothing ever happens. The real question is why we think stuff is
>> 'happening'. Well, OK - the hallucination that stuff is happening is what is
>> happening.
>
> So explain the hallucination. Why does that 'happen'. Note that 'happen' is a
> temporal term.
>
> Bruce

Sure - no argument. I don't think we can explain this using language. We need
math for that. Enter Bruno; even you, Bruce. Your maths ability is right up
there. Language is predicated on the assumption that things exist and happen.

What is the mathematical equivalent of nouns and verbs?

I was told at school that 'a sentence which does not contain a verb is not a
sentence' which I gather was meant to imply 'you have not managed to say
anything if you don't use a verb' which is bollocks, of course.

Assuming Bruno's comp, numbers are the only things which (necessarily) exist.
Number is the primitive we are striving to identify.

We cannot say what number 'is' because that is like saying what ( ) is and as
you can see there is nothing inside those brackets. You can only describe what
you can perceive.

Nobody perceives nothing.

So, we are forever describing our (shared) hallucination about 'existing' and
'happening'. This appears to be the meaning of life. To experience a
hallucination whose origin and persistence cannot be explained. Hence the need
for some kind of understanding of the necessary (Gödelian) restriction on what
can be known and/or explained (Incompleteness).

It's incredibly annoying, isn't it....