On 30 Apr 2015, at 16:20, Bruce Kellett wrote:

Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
On 30 April 2015 at 17:19, Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

Julian Barbour, in his book 'The End of Time' tried to abolish time
altogether because of the difficulties of defining time in general
relativity. He replaced time as a parameter with the notion of 'time
capsules' present in every point of phase space.

It is not really clear whether this idea was successful or not. It has not
attracted a great following.

But if any such idea is to make sense, the observer moments do have to be connected by quite strong causal laws so that the sequence of moments tells a coherent story. Or else each moment tells a different story, and we are
back with 'Last Tuesdayism' or solipsism.

I don't think Fred Hoyle's account works either. It feels like a 'many
minds' collapse interpretation of quantum mechanics.
The time capsule idea and "Last Tuesdayism" may not be how the world
actually is, but they do demonstrate that it is possible to have "the
hallucination that stuff is happening" in the absence of a separate
time dimension, which was your question.

I don't think the time capsule idea would work with comp. It works for Barbour because he can use known physical laws to ensure that the time capsules are consistent from point to point along the trajectory in configuration space. You do not have that luxury in the dovetailer because you do not have independent physical laws.

You don't know that. And we have arithmetical laws, biological laws (see my paper on amoeba and planaria), psychological laws, and, amazingly enough perhaps, theological laws (one halve on it are "secret", we cannot consistently assert them, but we can bet on them.

For the physical laws, indeed that is the problem.

But it is an interesting problem, and the propositional logics of the physical observable have been derived, so we can test them empirically. thanks to the quantum, it fits, formally and informally (MWI).

You can say that the sequence of conscious moments that we experience can only be those that are consistent. But that is just assuming what you need to prove, and is no explanation at all.

Ah! You are clever when you want. That is basically the deep idea to exploit. For going from proVability to proBability, add the consistency requirements: []p & <>t. Then the diamond []f V <>p handles the logic of the relative consistency.

I am a scientist, Bruce. I formulate and solve a problem which is already there. The solution is not original, and has been developed, with diverse level of rigor and inspiration from Pythagorus to Damascius on a millenium, and elsewhere.

UDA formulates the problem. have you still a problem with that?
AUDA describes the only way I know to circumscribe mathematically the problem, and if it does not provides the complete solution (which does not exist), it gives the general shape. In particular it refutes Aristotle theology.

I am not sure if you have already grasped that (weak) mechanism and (weak) materialism are incompatible (unless you add ad hoc magic). You have to understand how computations are emulated in the arithmetical reality, that in virtue of the truth of some collection of sentences.

Bruno

Bruce