On 11 May 2015 at 19:40, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 11:55 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I believe satellites and weather stations give a lot of samples of
>> atmospheric temperature (and other properties, I assume).
>>

> Yes, I am not questioning these readings. I believe that 2010 was warmer
> than any year in the previous century, etc.
>
> What I am asking is for a robust statistical analysis that shows that it
> is sufficiently plausible that a temperature increase trend is indeed
> happening. I am just behaving in the exact same way that any proper
> scientist would behave when confronted with an hypothesis driven by a set
> of observations. All serious journals require it. So why not provide it?

I didn't provide it because I'm not able to, not being an expert in
statistics.

> This, for me, is further evidence that the field of climate research has
> gone pathological. In non-pathological scientific research, such a request
> is seen as perfectly normal and not as an attack. In fact, such requests
> help the cause. If the trend is real, they will only help make the case
> stronger. If you care so much, why don't you join me in insisting on rigour?

I assume the results are rigorous. Why wouldn't they be/ Surely the same
peer review, replication and so on applies to climate science as other
scientific fields?

> Don't you see a problem with trying to demonstrate a trend with a chart
> that is pre-sorted by increasing temperature?

If that was what I was trying to do, yes. But the point was only that the
warmest 10 years on record had all been since 1998. Since I didn't have a
graph with the years in date order, I used that one.

Fortunately, Brent has a lot more data available, which so far appears to
support mine.