On 5/12/2015 1:01 PM, 'Chris de Morsella' via Everything List wrote:

*From:* Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com>
*To:* "everything-list@googlegroups.com" <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
*Sent:* Tuesday, May 12, 2015 12:22 PM
*Subject:* Re: Michael Shermer becomes sceptical about scepticism!

    With climate change and cures for cancer you need statistics, because there
are no
    such laws in these fields. There is no equation where you can plug-in a CO2
    concentration and get a correct prediction on global temperature change.

    There's a law where you can plug in atmospheric composition and solar
radiance and
    get a correct prediction of the equilibrium temperature.  That's what
Arrhenius did
    in 1890.  It's precisely because we do have equations for the energy
balance of the
    Earth and how CO2 affects it, that anthropic global warming is as solid a
fact as
    evolution and nuclear fission.  If it were *just* observations there might
be room
    for doubt as to why temperature has gone up.  But the mechanism is well
known and
    has been for a century.

>>How can we know that the greenhouse effect is the only thing to consider when dealing with something as complex as the earth and its biosphere? Ok, CO2 in the atmosphere reflects back some percentage of the infrared radiation which leads to more solar energy being trapped in the system.

One key thing to understand about the physical properties of CO2 dipolar gas molecule is that it absorbs/re-emits IR frequencies(i.e. is opaque) in an IR frequency range that water vapor (e.g. H2O) -- which is the most significant global warming gas there is overall is transparent in. This is critically important in understanding why CO2 gas has such an impact on climate. It is because it closes (partially closes of course) a critical window of transparency, that exists in the H2O infrared frequency absorption profile through which infrared energy -- of that frequency range -- could otherwise escape out from the atmosphere to be re-radiated out into outer space. CO2 does not act alone, its effects are very much a result of its partially closing off this infrared frequency transparency hole or window through which large amounts of infrared energy would have been able to be directly radiated out into the cold sink of outer space.
-Chris

Right. And it's also more significant because it doesn't condense out in clouds. There is a kind of "last emission" zone in the atmosphere where IR photons can go directly to space and it's what is emitted in that zone that affects the energy balance. IR emission below that zone is just part of Earth's internal temperature exchange. Most clouds are well below the last emission zone because water condenses out as it rises and cools. But CO2 doesn't condense out and so plays a bigger role in emission than its concentration would suggest.