Maudlin attempts to show that counterfactuals don't count, as it were, by
bolting on vast universes of counterfactual-handling machinery to his
already unfeasibly large thought experiment. The MWI does the same sort of
thing for free, so if we assume it's the correct interpretation of QM we
get a similar result without the same sort of mind-bogglingly large pieces
of machinery, though at the cost of mind-boggling numbers of parallel
universes.

If a system is deterministic, like a brain in the multiverse, then all the
might-have-beens are unphysical, and hence not possible (e.g. "in branch
1234 zillion, I could have decided to have coffee, but instead I decided to
have tea" - hence "coffee in branch 1234 zillion" is not physically
possible). How can it make any difference to branch 1234zil that in branch
3456zil I *did* have coffee? None, according to QM, once they have ceased
to interfere - which was way before I was even conscious of which hot
beverage related decision I'd made (as I expect everyone here knows, we
only become conscious of what we've "decided" to do some time after the
decision has been arrived at unconsciously - at least according to
experiments involving brain scans etc - and the relevant brain processes
have ceased to interact long before then, on the quantum timescale).

So this counterfactual - "coffee in branch 1234 zilion" - has no relevance
to my consciousness in branch 1234 zilion, being physically impossible by
virtue of not having happened - and by extension no "physically realised
elsewhere, but not here" counterfactuals can have any influence on my
consciousness.

This is why I, at least, can't see the point of the damn things. (Although
there is a version of me in branch 9876 zillion that may be able to.)