On 09 Jun 2016, at 01:28, Bruce Kellett wrote:

On 9/06/2016 3:51 am, Bruno Marchal wrote:
On 07 Jun 2016, at 13:46, Bruce Kellett wrote:
On 7/06/2016 6:57 pm, Bruno Marchal wrote:
On 07 Jun 2016, at 04:24, Bruce Kellett wrote:

That sounds like you actually do accept the standard concept of non-locality in quantum mechanics! Spacelike separated particles can interfere probabilistically without any possible interactions (mechanistic force-field exchanges) between them: that is precisely what is meant by non-locality in this context.

I think you have been too tied up with a mechanistic interpretation of non-locality -- you appear to think that it necessarily involves FTL exchange of some particle or other mechanistic influence. But this is not necessarily the case -- we don't actually postulate non-local hidden variables of this type because that would represent an attempt to give a "local" account of "non-locality". All that is involved is that the singlet state is a unity, even though the entangled particles might be widely separated. This is reflected in the fact that the wave function itself is intrinsically non-local -- it is local and deterministic only in configuration space, not in 3- dimensional physical space.

You are the one who seem to accept that such a non-locality is not physical, but due to the internal relative FPI. If you agree there is no FTL action in any physical realities, I guess we agree, then.

I have always been clear that no FTL mechanistic disturbance was involved in quantum non-locality.

Oh! Sorry for having miss that. But Bell's inequality violation + the mono-universe assumption does lead to such FTL, like Bohm hidden variable theory does lead to either FTL or super-conspiracies.

The point is that once we eliminate the wave packet reduction, there are no more FTL. And no collapse = MWI, with most weak and abstract notion of worlds. Without collapse, the linearity makes the superposition contagious to anything interacting, and that generate the world. But the differenciation of "worlds" are like bubbles generated at each points of the cosmos, like Malpertuis described front waves, making each of them local, almost by definition.

You still get reduction to distinct worlds in each branch of the MWI. You have to do some work to show that this is not equivalent (for each observer) to a collapse.

By the FPI, that is a phenomenological collapse. The work is done by Everett already. except that he did not realize that, by using mechanism, there is no choice than to derive the universal wave or universal matrix from elementary arithmetic. But then he was not working on the mind-body problem and get the aristotelian prejudices which are widespread (and dogmatic). But the FPI explains why there is apparent collapse without collapse (Everett), and why there is an apparent wave with only number.

We seems to agree on that. However, "the internal relative FPI" is just a sequence of words that has little meaning in this context.

?
You cannot avoid them to get the report by the Alices and Bobs about the correlation and its violation of Bell's inequality. It is the basic mechanism in Everett's paper. I found that independently in arithmetic (instead of a Wave equation). Indeed, with computationalism, we have to extracted the wave from the numbers, and by doing its through self-reference, we can distinguish the provable from the true but non provable by the observers, leading to the distinction, for the intensional (and Theaetetical) variants of provability, between quanta and qualia.

Why not just accept that the observed results come from the standard evolution of the wave function, so the observed non- locality is just a property of the wave function -- no mystery or magical FPI about it at all.

As I said, and insist, you need it for Bob and Alice, and anyone, actually, to just talk about results of measurement. Like you need the Helsinki Man opening the door and saying "Oh! I am in Moscow this times".

In other words, FPI is just the statement that Alice and Bob have to look to find out which of the (+,+'), (+,-'), (-,+'), or (-,-') worlds they are in. I don't think that actually adds anything significant to the discussion.

That eliminates the physical spooky action at a distance which are necessarily there in QM+collapse.

That adds nothing, indeed. That shows only that the paradoxes came only from the axioms some have added to fit their philosophical prejudices.

Bruno

Bruce