On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 8:36 PM, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On 12/9/2016 2:51 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:

>>> It's not "reserved"; it, like any word, is defined by usage, and the
>>> usage
>>> overwhelmingly denotes a being who is immortal, has supernatural powers
>>> and
>>> knowledge and should be obeyed and worshipped or placated.  It includes
>>> the
>>> gods and godesses of Egypt, Greece, Mesopotamia, India, Scandnavia,
>>> Mayan,
>>> Aztec,...
>>
>> I hear people say stuff like "God for me is Nature" all the time. Don't
>> you?
>

> No, I don't.  But if I did, I'd take it as metaphor, "I worship nature."  I
> hear people say, "Time is money." and "Valentino Rossi is a motorcycle god."
> but I don't take them literally.
>

>> I was raised a catholic and had to go through 6 years of Sunday school
>> until my father put an end to it (I'm forever grateful to him). Even
>> there, I could tell that some people were more literalists while
>> others saw god as "more of a concept". I have the impression that more
>> educated people had a more abstract and less interventionist
>> conception of god. Many did not believe in heaven or hell or miracles.
>> Or that the universe as 6000 years old or any of that nonsense.
>

> And some of those believed in a god, a deist god perhaps.  But those who
> believed in an impersonal order or force didn't believe in a god - because
> "god" refers to a person.  It's just a matter of not distorting language.
>

>>> Noun    1.    God - the supernatural being conceived as the perfect and
>>> omnipotent and omniscient originator and ruler of the universe; the
>>> object
>>> of worship in monotheistic religions
>>>      2.    god - any supernatural being worshipped as controlling some
>>> part
>>> of the world or some aspect of life or who is the personification of a
>>> force
>>>
>>> http://www.thefreedictionary.com/God
>>
>> Well if you go here you get a different picture:
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God
>

> It's not really different.  It equivocates on "god" as "sometimes described"
> as abstract.  But all the examples are of persons and agents.
>

>> I am not trying to cut the religious any slack, by the way. I think we
>> agree on a lot of things.
>

> But isn't it obvious to you that the concept of god was invented as a
> personalization of forces like storms and volcanoes and light. That's why
> early religions were animist; there was a deer spirit and a wind spirit and
> mountain spirit...

I agree that this is a very compelling hypothesis, and I would be
surprised if it didn't in fact play a large role in the origin or
religion.

I think however that this explanation misses the big picture. Yes, the
"miracles" of nature are used as evidence that something transcendent
is happening, and if you can point at a specific "miracle" then maybe
you can convince other people you are particularly in tune with it,
and that you know what god wants and so on. This is the mechanism, but
it is not the payoff. The payoff is two-fold: freeing people from
existential crises and enabling civilisation by resolving prisoner
dilemma scenarios (e.g. fear of hell).

People don't lose sleep at night because they don't know how the wind
works, they lose sleep because they feel that they are unimportant or
that their lives are meaningless. If you can provide some solution for
this, that is what people will really mean by "god", not the
ridiculous wind-person itself. That is why anthropologists and other
social scientists argue that things like money and fame play the role
of god, are in fact "gods" in a deep cultural sense. In that sense
this is not just playing silly word games, it is an attempt at a
deeper understanding of what if really going on.

Militant atheists, who are actively trying to free the world of
religion, need a non-fuzzy target to hit. So they get really annoyed
when one enters into such nuanced discussions of what people mean by
"god". They get annoyed because they think that such understanding of
human nature is of secondary importance compared to the more urgent
goal of ridding the world of silly bronze-age superstitions that are
impeding progress. The irony of the situation is that they are
thinking in exactly the same way that priesthood classes always did:
what people need is to take the correct actions, the rest is not that
important. If they need to believe that the statue of the dog-god of
Alpha Centauri bleeds from the eyes every full moon, let them. If this
is what they need to not choose "defect" when confronted with prisoner
dilemmas, it's not a high price to pay. Militant atheists play the
same game with culture.

This is all human nature and I don't find it particularly important. I
was a militant atheist myself, until I managed to forgive organised
religion for intellectually bullying me when I was a kid. I guess it
just became a bit boring to hate them. Will I resist if they try to
force me or others to live a certain way? Of course.

What I won't do is pretend that religion was not evolutionarily
selected *because it helps the species survive*. We still have the
same fundamental problems to solve that we always had, even now that
wind gods and dog gods are dead: meaning and cooperation. We are
possibly witnessing the early stages of collapse of western
civilisation because too many people find no meaning in their lives,
no sense of belonging to anything at all and no reason to cooperate.
It seems to turn out that a society can't run on money- and status-
seeking alone. We are so smart that we figured out that the gods are
bullshit, but unfortunately not smart enough to solve that one...