On Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 3:00:22 PM UTC-7, John Clark wrote:

> [...]
> in the language of English there are stories about Harry Potter and it can
> be proven that Harry's aunt is named Petunia, but there is no proof that
> harry or Petunia exist in the physical world and there is no proof
> pi or e (not to be confused with the approximations of pi and e) have any
> effect on the laws of physics.  ​
>

>> It's also been proven that the irrationals are dense in the reals; that
>> is, many "more" irrationals than rationals;
>>

> ​And the stories also say there are many more  non-computable Real
> numbers ​
> ​than computable Real numbers, the set of computable numbers is not dense
> on the reals, its countably infinite with a cardinality of
> Aleph-naught
> ​. If a number is not computable, ​that is to say  unlike pi or e then is
> no procedure for even approximating it then I don't see how it cold be of
> any importance to physics. And I say again Many Worlds is a theory about
> physics not mathematics.
>
> What about the rational numbers, does physics need all of them?
>  The answer in not certain but we already have good reason to suspect that
> neither time nor space is continuous, although although we won't know for
> sure until we understand quantum gravity.  ​
>

>> ​>> ​
>>> there might be a infinite number of Turing Machines in the Multiverse
>>> but they couldn't communicate with each other and none of them would have a
>>> infinite amount of tape. So any real Turing Machine in the Multiverse is
>>> certain to eventually stop, not for any software reason but because of
>>> hardware failure. Eventual any real Turing machine will get a command like
>>> "move the read/wright head one box to the left write a 1 in the box and
>>> then change to state 6.02*10^23" but it will be unable to move one box to
>>> the left became it is already at the end of the tape and there is no more
>>> matter in the observable universe to extend it. If no physical process can
>>> produce them that
>>> seems to me a pretty good indication that the physical universe doesn't
>>> need irrational numbers (or even real numbers). Many Worlds is a theory
>>> about physics not mathematics so the philosophic debate about the existence
>>> or nonexistence of irrational numbers ​
>>> has no bearing on existence or nonexistence of
>>> ​ Many Worlds.​
>>>

>> ​> ​
>> I am not sufficiently knowledgeable about Turing machines to comment.
>>

> ​All you need to know is that a Turing Machine is the simplest most
> fundamental form of computer that operates according to the known laws of
> physics, so if a Turning Machine can't do something then no computer can,
> and a Turing Machine can't calculate a single irrational number, not even
> if it makes use of all the matter in the observable universe, not even if
> it has infinite time to work on it. And that makes me think irrational
> numbers are not fundamentally important to the laws of physics or to our

*Essentially, all calculations and predictions in physics are
approximations. Thus, the fact that a Turing Machine can't do an exact
calculation in finite time seems irrelevant.  Moreover, if you claim
irrational numbers are not fundamentally important for physics, how do you
account for the fact that PI comes up in Maxwell's equations and Einstein's
field equations? AG*

​> ​