On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 8:23:42 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> Bitcoin, and digital money, will need quantum encryption. Some of them can
> be failed, but only in theory. Well, the last time I readon on this, but
> the filed is exploding.
>
> I guess that *classical* teleportation will needs quantum encryption too,
> if you want avoid to be reconstituted by some Eve (by some Eavesdroppers).
>
> I would not say "yes" to a "doctor" without some guaranties my "Gödel
> number" is enough secure.
>
> I predict that the amount of digital communication used in encryption will
> ever go up. Already bitcoin is very demanding, and virtual money might
> become a danger for the climate. Some estimates that the Internet is
> responsible already of 15% of the mundial pollution, ...
>
> Now, Quantum computations will have many applications different from
> encryption. To make the MW valid (original goal of Deutsch), to "find a
> needle in a stack", to factorize big numbers (with other goal than
> encryption (say), etc. but the main non-encryption goal will be to
> simulated nature's phenomena, from protein foldings to black hole, to
> big-bang(s), etc.
>
> Bruno

It is my hope that quantum computing has other uses. In particular black
holes are a form of quantum computing and communication channel. The
Ryu-Takanayagi formula is a type of quantum error correction code. Golay
codes have Lie algebraic structure, and in the heterotic and sporadic
groups correspond to Jacobi θ-functions and modular functions. There are
also Goppa codes that are elliptic curves, and with the Weiles proof about
Shimura varieties it means these are also modular. So I am interested in
the intersection of these two. In particular we can think of these has
having a comutatant sub-Hilbert space  that defines a von Neumann algebra.
Maybe a quantum computer can emulate this.

I suspect that quantum computers will in time be put primarily to the task
of encrypting financial and government information. Already about 10% of
electrical power generated in the world is for the internet, about 25% of
that involves money or transactions, and .17% of electrical power is now
devoted to bitcoin mining. I suppose one can say this is "the way of the
world." It is following the general direction humanity is moving, which is
towards virtual constructions and an ever inwards focus. Think of it as the
opposite future scenario from the science fiction TV screenplay *Star Trek*.

LC