On 03 Dec 2017, at 19:02, John Clark wrote:

On Sun, Dec 3, 2017 at 9:23 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

​> ​Bitcoin, and digital money, will need quantum encryption.

​There are​ ​quantum encryption​ ​protocols that even a quantum computer couldn't break, they would be as secure as the laws of physics themselves, but unfortunately there are severe practical problems; they're slow and they would require new hardware. ​You'd have to rebuild the entire Internet from the ground up, and the fibre optic lines that we use now probably wouldn't work at distances of more than a few hundred miles, for long distances you'd probably need to use LASER communication satellites and hope for a cloud free day at both ends.

I will answer this when it stops raining!

Seriously, I think that quantum encryption might be feasible at the time when quantum computer can break the code. That will still take time. But you are right, quantum encryption will need a lot of work to be practical, but that is about the same for a quantum computer capable to break a code. There might be a short hole in the timing. Yes, that is plausible, but it will not last long.

Bruno

John K Clark