> On 23 Apr 2018, at 00:39, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 10:12 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be
> <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>> wrote:
>
>  >> “Faith is believing what you know ain't so.”
>
> > That is blind faith, which is the opposite of faith by reason,
>

> ​If the belief comes through reason then what does faith have to do with it?

Cannot suppress that blanc. Sorry.

The answer is that if a belief comes from reason, it might still be false. The
belief that fact is earth was due to reason based on local extrapolation.
Reason build theories, but later, reason + new evidence can show old theories
to be wrong. So, when applying a theory, we need some faith. The high diploma
of an engineers does not prevent a machine to crash.