On 4/26/2018 10:38 PM, agrayson2...@gmail.com wrote:

On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 5:10:46 AM UTC, Brent wrote:

    On 4/26/2018 9:24 PM, agrays...@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:

    On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 1:43:30 AM UTC, Brent wrote:

        On 4/26/2018 6:21 PM, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

        On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 1:10:25 AM UTC, Brent wrote:

            On 4/26/2018 4:14 PM, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

            On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 10:25:29 PM UTC, Brent
            wrote:

                On 4/26/2018 2:33 PM, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

                On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 9:09:48 PM UTC,
                Brent wrote:

                    On 4/26/2018 7:23 AM, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

                    On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 4:12:41 AM
                    UTC, Brent wrote:

                        On 4/25/2018 7:44 PM, agrays...@gmail.com
                        wrote:

                        On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 2:17:31
                        AM UTC, Brent wrote:

                            On 4/25/2018 6:39 PM,
                            agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

                            *On its face it's absurd to think
                            the SoL is invariant for all
                            observers regardless of the
                            relative motion of source and
                            recipient, but it has testable
                            consequences. The MWI has no
                            testable consequences, so it makes
                            no sense to omit this key
                            difference in your historical
                            comparisons with other apparent
                            absurdities in physics. Moreover
                            when you factor into consideration
                            that non locality persists in the
                            many worlds postulated -- assuming
                            you accept Bruce's analysis -- what
                            exactly has been gained by
                            asserting the MWI? Nothing as far
                            as I can tell. And the loss is
                            significant as any false path would
                            be. AG*

                            It's one possible answer to the
                            question of where the Heisenberg cut
                            is located (the other is QBism).  It
                            led to the theory of decoherence and
                            Zurek's theory of quantum Darwinism
                            which may explain Born's rule.

                            Brent

                        *
                        I've always found the Heisenberg Cut to
                        be a nebulous concept, a kind of
                        hypothetical demarcation between the
                        quantum and classical worlds. *

                        That's the problem with it; it doesn't
                        have an objective physical definition.
                        Bohr regarded it as a choice in analyzing
                        an experiment; you put it where ever was
                        convenient.

                        *What kind of boundary are we talking
                        about, and how could the MWI shed any
                        light on it, whatever it is? AG *

                        In MWI there is no Heisenberg cut;
                        instead there's a splitting of worlds
                        which has some objective location in
                        terms of decoherence.

                        Brent

                    The Heisenberg Cut is too vague and
                    ill-defined to shed light on anything, and to
                    say the MWI is helpful is adding another
                    layer of confusion. AG

                    Decoherence is a specific well-defined
                    physical process and it describes the
                    splitting of worlds.  There is still some
                    question whether it entails the Born rule, but
                    at worst the Born rule remains as a separate
                    axiom.

                    Brent

                Let's say an electron goes through an SG device.
                IIUC, its spin state becomes entangled with the
                spin wf's of the device. How do you infer
                splitting of worlds from this? AG

                I don't.  Why should I?

                Brent

            I could swear that you wrote above that decoherence
            describes the splitting of worlds, so I gave you an
            example of decoherence

            You didn't give an example of decoherence. Where's the
            decoherence in an electron flying through a divergent
            magnetic field?

            Brent

        That's what I figured you would write and maybe you're
        correct. I thought decoherence means that the wf of the
        system being measured, gets entangled with the wf's of the
        environment, in this case the SG device. Why is this not
        decoherence, and if it isn't, what is?  TIA, AG

        Decoherence happens when the particle is detected in one path
        or the other, not when going thru the SG. It's a classic
        experiment to show that particle wf can be coherently
        recombined after going through SGs.  So if you set up a
        detector on one leg of the SG then the world splits when
        there is a detection vs no detection.

        Brent

    I am not considering a singlet state; just an electron passing
    through a SG device and being measured, spin up or down. Are you
    saying no decoherence in this case?

    No.  I just saying when you posed the problem you didn't say
    anything about detection.  You just said an electron went through
    an SG apparatus.

    From what I gather from descriptions of decoherence, it occurs
    when a measurement occurs, and the particle's wf gets entangled
    with the measurement device. This is a detection, and I think
    you're saying the world splits. If so, why would it? If there's
    no detection for whatever reason, what are we to conclude? I
    would guess, nothing. AG

    No.  The world still splits because no-detection means the
    particle took the other path where there was no detector, at least
    that's the MWI theory.

*Can't no detection just mean an inefficient measuring device? AG*

    This is confirmed by the buckyball Young's slit experiment.  The
    interference pattern disappeared even though the IR photons
    weren't measured.

    You've been around these lists for years.  Haven't you read these
    experiments?

    Brent

*Just SG, not Buckyball. Not sure what Buckyball proves. *

It proves interference is destroyed just by the welcher weg being available "out there" even if it was absorbed by a wall and completely impractical for any person to recover.

*You have an interference pattern when it goes through slit, and no IR photons detected. What does one thing have to do with another? Sorry; this is very confusing. AG

Earlier, this particular discussion began with your comments about the Heisenberg Cut and you claimed it said something about splitting of worlds. "Decoherence is a specific well-defined physical process and it describes the splitting of worlds."  If you don't believe in the MWI, how can you claim decoherence is well defined and supports splitting of worlds? AG*

Believing in things is for religionists.