On 4/26/2018 9:24 PM, agrayson2...@gmail.com wrote:

On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 1:43:30 AM UTC, Brent wrote:

    On 4/26/2018 6:21 PM, agrays...@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:

    On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 1:10:25 AM UTC, Brent wrote:

        On 4/26/2018 4:14 PM, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

        On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 10:25:29 PM UTC, Brent wrote:

            On 4/26/2018 2:33 PM, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

            On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 9:09:48 PM UTC, Brent
            wrote:

                On 4/26/2018 7:23 AM, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

                On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 4:12:41 AM UTC,
                Brent wrote:

                    On 4/25/2018 7:44 PM, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

                    On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 2:17:31 AM
                    UTC, Brent wrote:

                        On 4/25/2018 6:39 PM, agrays...@gmail.com
                        wrote:

                        *On its face it's absurd to think the
                        SoL is invariant for all observers
                        regardless of the relative motion of
                        source and recipient, but it has
                        testable consequences. The MWI has no
                        testable consequences, so it makes no
                        sense to omit this key difference in
                        your historical comparisons with other
                        apparent absurdities in physics.
                        Moreover when you factor into
                        consideration that non locality persists
                        in the many worlds postulated --
                        assuming you accept Bruce's analysis --
                        what exactly has been gained by
                        asserting the MWI? Nothing as far as I
                        can tell. And the loss is significant as
                        any false path would be. AG*

                        It's one possible answer to the question
                        of where the Heisenberg cut is located
                        (the other is QBism).  It led to the
                        theory of decoherence and Zurek's theory
                        of quantum Darwinism which may explain
                        Born's rule.

                        Brent

                    *
                    I've always found the Heisenberg Cut to be a
                    nebulous concept, a kind of hypothetical
                    demarcation between the quantum and classical
                    worlds. *

                    That's the problem with it; it doesn't have an
                    objective physical definition.  Bohr regarded
                    it as a choice in analyzing an experiment; you
                    put it where ever was convenient.

                    *What kind of boundary are we talking about,
                    and how could the MWI shed any light on it,
                    whatever it is? AG *

                    In MWI there is no Heisenberg cut; instead
                    there's a splitting of worlds which has some
                    objective location in terms of decoherence.

                    Brent

                The Heisenberg Cut is too vague and ill-defined to
                shed light on anything, and to say the MWI is
                helpful is adding another layer of confusion. AG

                Decoherence is a specific well-defined physical
                process and it describes the splitting of worlds.
                There is still some question whether it entails the
                Born rule, but at worst the Born rule remains as a
                separate axiom.

                Brent

            Let's say an electron goes through an SG device. IIUC,
            its spin state becomes entangled with the spin wf's of
            the device. How do you infer splitting of worlds from
            this? AG

            I don't.  Why should I?

            Brent

        I could swear that you wrote above that decoherence
        describes the splitting of worlds, so I gave you an example
        of decoherence

        You didn't give an example of decoherence.  Where's the
        decoherence in an electron flying through a divergent
        magnetic field?

        Brent

    That's what I figured you would write and maybe you're correct. I
    thought decoherence means that the wf of the system being
    measured, gets entangled with the wf's of the environment, in
    this case the SG device. Why is this not decoherence, and if it
    isn't, what is?  TIA, AG

    Decoherence happens when the particle is detected in one path or
    the other, not when going thru the SG.  It's a classic experiment
    to show that particle wf can be coherently recombined after going
    through SGs.  So if you set up a detector on one leg of the SG
    then the world splits when there is a detection vs no detection.

    Brent

I am not considering a singlet state; just an electron passing through a SG device and being measured, spin up or down. Are you saying no decoherence in this case?

No.  I just saying when you posed the problem you didn't say anything about detection.  You just said an electron went through an SG apparatus.

From what I gather from descriptions of decoherence, it occurs when a measurement occurs, and the particle's wf gets entangled with the measurement device. This is a detection, and I think you're saying the world splits. If so, why would it? If there's no detection for whatever reason, what are we to conclude? I would guess, nothing. AG

No.  The world still splits because no-detection means the particle took the other path where there was no detector, at least that's the MWI theory.  This is confirmed by the buckyball Young's slit experiment.  The interference pattern disappeared even though the IR photons weren't measured.

You've been around these lists for years.  Haven't you read these experiments?

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>.