On Thursday, March 14, 2019 at 7:54:49 AM UTC-5, John Clark wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 3:40 AM Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>

>> *> We may even have robots that can sit and talk with us about current
>> events, know everything in Wikipedia, etc. How "creative" they will be is
>> an open question. *
>>

> I don't think it's a open question at all. I can state without
> reservation that regardless of how intelligent computers become they will
> *never* be creative because the word "creative" now means whatever
> computers aren't good at. Yet. And thus due to Moore's Law and improved
> programing the meaning of the word constantly changes. What was creative
> yesterday isn't creative today.
>
> *> On mathematics: Of course mathematics changes, because it is a type of
>> language, and languages change.*
>>

> If mathematics is just a language (as I think it is) then it can not be
> used to construct things, in particular it can't, by itself without the use
> of matter, construct a Turing Machine as Bruno claims it can. English is
> also a language but an English word has no meaning without an English
> speaker with a physical brain to hear it.
>
>  John K Clark

There is some AI art that sells at galleries

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/shortcuts/2018/oct/26/call-that-art-can-a-computer-be-a-painter

but that's about it I've seen.

Turing machines in theoretical computing/math books are all fictional
things, of course.

All actual computers are made of matter.

(Technically the fictional ones are too: Printed ink glyphs on paper.)

 -pt