> On 22 Apr 2019, at 15:38, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 9:33 AM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be
> <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>> wrote:
>
> > The question is about the first person experience,
>
> I don't want to know what the question is about, I want to know precisely
> what the question is.

OK. As there are new people, I explain for them, and ask them the question,
which I repeat, is usually answered correctly, with respect to mechanism, by 14
and 15 kids. It is the easiest part of the reasoning. It is but the step 3 in
the 8 step reasoning of the Sane04 paper
http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/publications/SANE2004MARCHALAbstract.html

Indexical Digital Mechanism, or simply Mechanism, is the idea that we can
survive with an artificial brain. It is the idea that my consciousness, or my
first-person experience, is invariant for some functional digital substitution
of my brain/body at some level of substitution (neurons, or perhaps atoms, or
quarks and electron, or strings, etc.).

In that case, we can show, or argue at least, that we can use classical
teleportation as a mean to move from Earth to Mars, say.
We are read and cut (scanned and annihilated) on Earth, and then the relevant
digital information is sent to Mars (it takes four minutes, or a bit more
because it is a long stream of digits), and on Mars, some reconstitution
devices is supposed to have been installed before, and it reconstituted the
body of the traveller in the state he was before pushing the button trigging
the cut and copy, and the “pasting” on mars.

Let us define the notion of first person and third person, which in this
setting can be made easily.
For this, we imagine that the candidate takes with him, in the cut and read
box, a personal diary in which he describes the events that he lives during his
journeys. The content of that diary is what I called the first person
experience.
The third person experience is the content of the diary of an observer, not
going into the annihilating, copying device, of the entire experience.
In the case of the simple teleportation experience, from Earth to Mars, the
first person will be something like “I am on Earth, I will push on the button,
and I expect to find myself on Mars. I push on the button now;
I find myself in a box, and I guess that I am on Mars. I open the box, and I
feel like I am seeing Mars, and after a while, I conclude that I am indeed on
Mars”.
The third person experience will be something like “the candidate did enter the
box, and is annihilated, some ten minutes after, we get a call from the
candidate from mars. He has successfully been teleported from Earth to Mars”.
In that case, the two discourses have a very similar content.

Imagine that we introduce a delay for the reconstitution on Mars. As it is the
same code of the initial state, captured when pushing the button on Earth,
which is transmitted, and given that we assume digital mechanism, the
experience of the first person will not be different from the case without
delay described just above. But the diary of the third person observer, will
contained a description of the delay, like “the candidate enter the box and is
annihilated, one year go on, and we get the eventually the message that the guy
has been reconstituted, and he feel well, but he seems not aware at all that a
delay of one year has been added”.

It is obvious, using the hypothesis that we are discussing, that the first
person and third person description are differing a bit more than in the
preceding case. The first person is not aware of the delay of reconstitution,
where the third person is.

In that case, with the Mechanist Assumption, and the usual default hypothesis
(like the engine works well, the substitution level has been chosen correctly,
etc.) not only we can be teleported (in this classical way), but it happens
that the information read before annihilation can be duplicated, and the
reconstitution can be done in two places at once. In that sense, mechanism
implies that we are, like amoeba, duplicable entity, at least our body is.

The usual protocole here is that we are read and copied at time t_1 in
Helsinki, and reconstituted simultaneously (in the Helsinki frame, say) at
Moscow and at Washington, where a cup of coffee is offered to each copies.

Now, we define the identity of a person at some time t, by the content of its
personal diary, that he is able to access just by looking in its bag, and
reading it loud to us.

The question which is asked to the guy when he is in Helsinki is the following
one: what do you expect to live when doing that duplication experience? Or
equivalently “what do you expect to write in the entries of your diary after
having push on the button”.
A more precise question could, which is more probable, given the hypothesis of
mechanism, to be sure.

Here, the difference between the third person description of the experience is
drastically different from the first person experiences. Note the s. As the
personal diary enters the box, it is itself duplicated, and, obviously (I hope
everyone agrees), their will be two personal diaries, but only one of them is
directly available to each of the copies, in the two W and M cities.

The diaries will each certainly contain the entries:

“I am in Helsinki. I am told that I will be read and copy here inHelsinki, and
that the information which has been encoded will be duplicated, and sent to
both Moscow and Washington, and my copies will be reconstituted in each of
those cities, after I push on this button. I am asked, here in Helsinki to
predict what experience I will feel to live and describe in my personal diary.
My prediction is [………]”. Now I push the button.Go!…."

It should also be obvious that the diaries, which are each an exact copy of the
diary in Helsinki, will continue in the following way.

“… OK, I have pushed on the button. I find myself in a box. I open the door,
and discover that I am in Washington. I am offered a cup of coffee. I ask if
the reconstitution has worked well in Moscow. At some moment later I am told it
did”.

“… OK. I have pushed on the button. I find myself in a box. I open the door,
and discovered that I am in Moscow. I am aoofered a cup of coffee. I ask if the
reconstitution has worked well in Moscow. At some moment later I am told it
did”.

What would *you* write for the missing  [………] in the diary, when still in
Helsinki?

To make things even more trivial/easy, I will say that a prediction is good
when it is satisfied by all copies, so that both copies will write in their
person diaries: “my prediction, i.e.  [………] was correct!.

The question is, what is the best prediction among:

0) I predict that I will die.
1) I predict that I will feel to be in Washington, drinking a cup of coffee.
2) I predict that I will feel to be in Moscow, drinking a cup of coffee.
3) I predict that I will feel to be simultaneously in W and in M, drinking the
two coffees simultaneously, tasting them both at once, so that I can compare
them instantaneously.
4) I predict that I will either feel to be in Washington, drinking a cup of
coffee, OR  feel to be in Moscow, drinking a cup of coffee.

So, what should be [………] in the diary, in Helsinki, among 0), 1), 2), 3), 4) so
that the two entire story could end by

"When I wrote "[………]” in Helskini, I was correct!”.

Bruno