> On 24 Apr 2019, at 09:54, 'Cosmin Visan' via Everything List
> <everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> So ultimately they are not "artificial", but natural, grown through
> biological processes, not assembled in a factory. Then they are natural and
> are not made of atoms, but are made by invisible natural processes that are
> also responsible for the workings of consciousness. I think this fact must be
> stated out clearly: biology is not made out of atoms! I think this is what
> confuses most people. People somehow take for granted that biology is just
> atoms, and thus they don't understand how consciousness can be immaterial if
> the brain is material. That's the whole point: the brain is NOT material.
> Neither biology generally. The development of a being is not lead by chemical
> reactions, but chemical reactions are lead by invisible forces such that they
> implement the shape of the being.

That is coherent with mechanism. But you need to be cautious when saying things
like brain does not exist? You just mean that brain exist phenomenologically.
Now if you are OK that there are things responsible for the working of
consciousness, note that the mathematical reality (a tiny part of it) seems to
be a good candidate for that. Only materialist needs a magic god, or make
matter into some magic god, capable of selecting some computation in
arithmetic, where both theory and evidence are that there is no such selection.
Materialism in the mechanist frame is the same “error” than introducing a
collapse in quantum mechanics.

Bruno