> On 1 May 2019, at 12:16, 'Cosmin Visan' via Everything List
> <everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>

> On Wednesday, 1 May 2019 12:15:37 UTC+3, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>
>> On 29 Apr 2019, at 15:50, 'Cosmin Visan' via Everything List
>> <everyth...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>> wrote:
>>
>> Semantics means meaning, and meaning is something that exists in
>> consciousness.
>
> No problem with this.
>

>> You cannot use that for any "programming”.
>

> But computer science is in a large part the study between the relation
> between program and their semantics. The machine which relate the two is the
> universal machine. If my computer was unable to associate some semantic to a
> program, this mail would never been sent to you.
>
> Bruno
>

> First you say that you have no problem with "semantics" meaning "meaning in
> consciousness”

OK. (Without making the technical nuances needed to make this entirely clear),
but meaning and consciousness are deeply related, and quasi-identifiable if we
take some precaution.

> and 1 second later you talk about computers having semantics. What am I
> missing ?

That a computer can be conscious. To be sure, usually, we can build semantic
for simple programs, and the computer is everything but a simple machine, so
the semantic associated to a universal computer is infinitely complex, and
accessible in direct way by the person associated with the computer, but in a
way which it cannot communicate or prove to another. Yet, it can communicate
part of it, and he can prove that it cannot prove it to another. By
introspection, you can verify this on yourself, and this explain in part why
people are confused with the term consciousness, because it involves the
undefinable meaning of … meaning.