On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 5:12 PM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 25 Jul 2019, at 18:44, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Personal identity theories based on psychological or bodily continuity can
> always be shown to break down, either by holding the body the same and
> changing the psyche, or holding the psyche the same and changing the body.
>

> They break down with digital mechanism.

So what? I am not assuming mechanism. The everyday  understanding of
personal identity was developed in a world without person duplication or
other exotic brain experimentation. The idea is to develop a theory of
identity that can deal with some of the more reasonable thought experiments
without doing violence to everyday concepts. We need continuity of concepts
as well as continuity of body and memories.

With soma analog mechanism, or non-mechanism, we can’t conclude (but we can
> also feel that such a move is ad hoc and non convincing).

Feeling that it is ad hoc is not necessarily a disadvantage -- until we
actually have experience of person duplication and the like, we cannot
reasonably expect to develop a completely satisfactory theory -- the only
data we have to work on comes from a non-duplicating world.

> With digital or numerical mechanism, we avoid such ad hoc move and the
> “closer continuers” can be numerous, (even infinite)  like in Everett
> Relative State, indeed.

MWI is irrelevant to this discussion, since the branches in MWI are
completely disjoint and form separate coherent worlds. Without overlap,
common sense notions of personal identity continue unchanged in all
branches separately.

Bruce