On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 8:43 PM Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 6:29 PM Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jul 27, 2019 at 8:44 AM Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Can we really ignore the global view?
>>>

>> Yes, we have no evidence that such a view exits or even makes any sense.
>>

> Why doesn't it?

Because there is no "view from outside" as it were.

> We speak of a superposition of a wave function whenever we speak of a
> system separated from an external environment. Can we not view the whole
> universe this way? Feynman and Everett thought we could, and Wheeler
> thought so on Tuesdays.

Argument from authority is no argument in this case, because it makes no
sense to view the whole universe in this way. There is no "person" who sees
the global wave function. According to Everettt, persons and quantum
phenomena are relative to particular branches of the wave function.

What if we want to consider cases like Wigner's friend?  Or cases where we
>>> emulate brains in quantum computers?
>>>

>> What about such cases? Despite David Deutsch, these do not prove the
>> truth of MWI.
>>

> No but it casts significant doubt on the single world view, which cannot
> account for them.

The single world view can account for these easily, so such cases provide
no evidence for MWI.

Superpositions exist in a single world. If we form multiple worlds via
>> decoherence, then the worlds are, by definition, orthogonal, so there is no
>> possibility of their ever recombining. David Deutsch got this wrong many
>> times. Quantum computers work by interference of qbits -- so they must all
>> exist in the same world. A conscious quantum computer does not experience
>> other worlds.
>>

> If you fed in as input, qubits prepared to be in a superposition using
> Hadamard gate, then the conscious mind would experience many states,
> simultaneously.

Demonstrate that by actually doing it.

>   Now this is in the context of a quantum computer that remains isolated
> from its external environment.
>
> Now what happens when you consider that we too are isolated from our
> external environment?  Are we not in the same situation as this
> hypothetical conscious observer simulated on a quantum computer?

No. A quantum computer cannot do anything that is not also doable (albeit
more slowly) on a classical Turing machine. So quantum computers do not put
simulated minds into superpositions.

Bruce