On Thursday, August 8, 2019, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 4:50 AM Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 11:41 AM 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <
>> everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

>>> It's an artifact of expressing the photon as a superposition of two
>>> bases |left slit> and |right slit> which are not orthogonal. There is
>>> still only one state, one wave function.
>>>

>> Any multitude of things can also also be viewed as a single collection of
>> that multitude.
>>
>> A multitude of classical computational traces can be found in a quantum
>> computation.  You point out this multitude of computation traces can be
>> viewed as one state of a larger space.  Viewing it this way, however,
>> doesn't eliminate the multitude of the classical computational traces.
>>

> But viewing it in terms of "multiple classical computational traces" does
> not prove that there are multiple parallel worlds. You can change the basis
> vectors, or the clustering properties of the components, to any extent that
> you like. That does not change the fact that there is only one overall
> state, in one world, and no parallel worlds anywhere.

Not immediately, the logic to get to many worlds is as follows:

1. There are multiple classical computational traces in the quantum
computer.

2. If the classical computational traces are computations of conscious
minds, there are multiple conscious minds and points of views.

3. The quantum computer maintains the superposition of the multiple
computational traces by virtue of being isolated from the environment.

4. Our own minds are isolated from the rest of the environment for some
definition of the environment (e.g. a sphere with a 200 light year radius
centered on Earth).

5. From the perspective of a scientist outside this sphere, we can be
viewed as a superposition of many possible states.

6. Hence we experience "many worlds" in the sense that the wave function
for the state of the earth becomes a superposition of huge number of
possibilities. (From the POV) of the scientist outside the sphere.

Jason