On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 3:22 AM Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, August 9, 2019, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 8:59 PM Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> What role do you see decoherence playing in consciousness?  In other
>>> words, could you explain why shedding IR photons into an external
>>> environment necessary for the mind to be conscious?
>>>

>> Consciousness is a classical phenomenon since the brain is a classical
>> object (not in a state of quantum coherence). So decoherence, and the
>> emergence of the classical from the quantum, is essential for
>> consciousness. Just as to be conscious is to be conscious of something,
>> such as the external world.
>>

> You appear to be extrapolating a causation from the appearance of a
> correlation:
> "The brain is classical, and the brain is conscious, therefore all
> consciousness must be classical."
>
> The conclusion doesn't follow from the premise.

Show me consciousness that does not involve decohered classical matter,
such as in a brain.

> Also, is a brain really conscious of the external world, or is it
> conscious of it's internal states?  The redness of a red apple does not
> exist physically. Redness is an invention of the brain, which cannot be
> found in the external world of colorless particles.

But the physical world does contain photons of various wavelengths -- which
correspond to different  colours. Correlation does not necessarily indicate
causation, but scientific study does reveal the underlying relations
between things.

Bruce