> On 7 Sep 2019, at 16:30, Lawrence Crowell <goldenfieldquaterni...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> On Saturday, September 7, 2019 at 6:20:23 AM UTC-5, John Clark wrote:
> By John Horgan on September 4, 2019
>
> > Does anyone still believe that science can explain, well, everything?
>
> No. If the chain of "why" questions are infinite then obviously science can't
> answer an infinite number of questions nor can anything else. And if the
> chain is not infinite then eventually you'll run into a brute fact, and by
> their very nature there is no how or why about brute facts, they just are.
> For example, I think a brute fact is that consciousness is the way data feels
> when it is being processed.
>
> > Hawking, an atheist, wanted science to eliminate the need for a divine
> > creator.
>
> Does anyone still believe that a divine creator can explain, well, everything?
> Does anyone still believe that a divine creator can explain, well, ANYTHING?
>
> The problem is that a divine creator explains everything on the most
> elementary or simple basis of faith. This means in effect it explains
> nothing, because there is nothing falsifiable about this. Scriptural
> statements about the world, say from creation to the fact the Bible really
> has a Sumerian cosmology, have been found to be wrong. However, upholders of
> these ideas are good at either denial of facts or by shifting goal posts
> around in interpretations of scripture.

Right. If God exists, then “God made it all” is NOT an explanation at all. It
remains to explain God, or to explain why we can’t explain it, and it remains
to explain how God “made it all”.

That’s gives perhaps the difference between the concept of God used by the
theologian who are scientist, and “God" used by pseudo-science/pseudo-religion:
for a scientist God is *the* problem to solve, not a solution or explanation at
all.

Bruno