> On 18 Sep 2019, at 12:33, Philip Thrift <cloudver...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Wednesday, September 18, 2019 at 5:02:09 AM UTC-5, Alan Grayson wrote:
> I think he means one can replace a human brain and/or nervous system with
> computer microchips and consciousness will be preserved, or perfectly
> simulated so the person who says "Yes doctor", will awake from the surgery
> thinking he/she's the same person, like awakening from unremarkable surgery.
> From my pov, this belief is a huge, huge stretch since we can even define
> what consciousness IS. AG
>

> I was just taking "Mechanism" as a (computability) term meaning "not able to
> perform Turing jumps".
>
>      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_jump
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_jump>
>
> But then there is an "Extended" Mechanism:
>
>       Turing jumps through provability
>        https://arxiv.org/abs/1501.05327 <https://arxiv.org/abs/1501.05327>

Yes, that is what Turing machine can do. They can compute (and are universal
with resect to computation), but they can many other things, were they are no
more ever universal, and so can improved themselves infinitely. And yes there
are many jumps, and the machine do that all the time, including when you pull
out he electrical source …

But it is not extended mechanism. It is simple digital mechanism, where we
distinguish provability and computability, and that distinction is a key in my
work. Despite provability is not universal, once the machine is “rich enough”
(I use the term Löbian) then not only the (sound) machine is not universal for
provability (Gödel’s theorem), but it knows that very well, and get a little
bit “mystical” for pure logical reason (like Plato and others humans have
understood).

Bruno