On 9/18/2019 5:39 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 at 10:17, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>> wrote:

    On 9/18/2019 3:22 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

    On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 at 08:16, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
    <everything-list@googlegroups.com
    <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>> wrote:

        On 9/18/2019 2:58 PM, John Clark wrote:
        On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 4:25 PM 'Brent Meeker'
        <everything-list@googlegroups.com
        <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>> wrote:

            /> //Haven't you ever awoken from surgery? AG /
            /
            /
            />> Yes, and I think I was just the same as before and
            so does everyone else. But maybe I am fundamentally
            different. How would I know?/

            >>> You'd ask people who knew you well.

        And if you did that you would hear them make noises with
        their mouth, but whatever consciousness is it certainly
        isn't those mouth noises. If your lucky you may be able to
        detect a pattern in those noises that would indicate
        intelligence, but you would have to make an additional
        assumption to conclude that also indicated consciousness,
        namely that consciousness is an inevitable byproduct of
        intelligence. In the real world everybody makes that
        assumption a thousand times a day because the alternative is
        solipsism.

        They question was whether you could find out you were
        fundamentally different after an operation.  Not whether or
        not your friends were conscious.  Saibal said "No."
        apparently based only on the fact that he couldn't trust
        introspection.  But in that would equally imply he couldn't
        tell whether he fundamentally changed from day to day, or
        minute to minute. Of course nothing can provide certainty,
        but your friends saying you act differently or you don't
        would be good evidence.  It's the same level of evidence for
        thinking one another consciousness, but it's broader since
        you might be different in some way you were not conscious of.

    And if you were different in some way you were  not conscious of,
    it wouldn’t matter.

    How do you figure that?  Suppose you're a murderous psychopath
    after the operation.   Just because YOU don't remember not being a
    murderous psychopath before, it may still matter.

In that case there would be objective evidence of a change and you would be conscious of this evidence.

You would be conscious of the fact that your friends and other physical evidence told you that you had changed.  You would not need to have any feeling (gualia) of difference.  Which is why we believe that the shared physical world is more real/stable/fundamental than our qualia.

Brent

But if neither you nor anyone else noticed a change, it wouldn’t matter. For example, if my colour qualia changed every day, but there was no objective difference and I didn’t notice any difference, it wouldn’t matter. It could be argued that such a change is not really a change at all.
--
Stathis Papaioannou