> On 21 Sep 2019, at 17:00, Alan Grayson <agrayson2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Wednesday, September 18, 2019 at 4:02:09 AM UTC-6, Alan Grayson wrote:
> I think he means one can replace a human brain and/or nervous system with
> computer microchips and consciousness will be preserved, or perfectly
> simulated so the person who says "Yes doctor", will awake from the surgery
> thinking he/she's the same person, like awakening from unremarkable surgery.
> From my pov, this belief is a huge, huge stretch since we can even define
> what consciousness IS. AG
>
> Bruno; does "Yes doctor" mean that a patient accepts as fact that removing
> his/her brain and/or nervous system and replacing it with microcircuits
> preserving the same functions, yields a surgical result such that the patient
> upon awakening seems to him or herself, and others, as the same "person" who
> previously approved the surgery?

The patient cannot accept this as a fact. It is something he can hope only.
Then, if mechanism is true, by definition he was correct, but even after the
operation, he cannot claim that as a fact, despite its personal impression. He
might have lose a faculty and not be aware of it, like people can become blind
and be unaware of the change, in some special brain disease (anosognosia).

> Is this the essence of mechanism?  If not, please elaborate. TIA, AG

Yes, it is mechanism, but it requires an act of faith.

Now, to be sure, taking a plane, or even a bike, requires some faith too, but
here, that play an important role in the sequel, and so that nuance has to be
taken into account.

Rational machine have a surrational corona extending what they can justify.
That corona has a precise mathematical structure, and is used to derive the
laws of physics from arithmetic.